Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Default database functions and criteria

Is there any way to put criteria right into the function statement instead of
having to place it in a range and just refer to the range? It would be so
much easier and flexible if there were some way to stop constructing an
outside criteria range everytime I use the database fuctions like dsum, dget,
davg etc.

Is there a new better way to do this like:

=dsum(tablerange, fieldname, criteria right in the function like "firstfield
= x")
--
Please contact me by email if you have an answer to this question. I
appreciate it.
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Is there a new better way to do this

Possibly. The SUMPRODUCT function or using array formulas can be used to
replace the D functions. However, if you're dealing with a lot of data the D
functions are faster.

--
Biff
Microsoft Excel MVP

"TAD from DBL" .(donotspam) wrote in message
Is there any way to put criteria right into the function statement instead
of
having to place it in a range and just refer to the range? It would be so
much easier and flexible if there were some way to stop constructing an
outside criteria range everytime I use the database fuctions like dsum,
dget,
davg etc.

Is there a new better way to do this like:

=dsum(tablerange, fieldname, criteria right in the function like
"firstfield
= x")
--
Please contact me by email if you have an answer to this question. I
appreciate it.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

thanks, I'll look into the array formulas. I am trying to overcome the
seeming necessity of having my source files open when I am updating database
functions in another workbook. Why can't the db functions update without the
source files being open? Everything is in the same directory.