Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Default Lookup function-text

Hi there
I have a query about the lookup function.
In one column there are registered the names of some people and in a second
column there are registered the ages of these people. In another cell I have
a part of the names list and I want to use the lookup function to find the
age of these people. The example is illustrated below:

mary 33 peter =LOOKUP(C1;$B$1:$B$8;$A$1:$A$8)
peter 44 mary =LOOKUP(C2;$B$1:$B$8;$A$1:$A$8)
john 65 ted =LOOKUP(C3;$B$1:$B$8;$A$1:$A$8)
ted 43
mario 30
marco 20
george 16
michael 35

Although the formula seems to be ok I am getting a N/A. Can you please
give me a good piece of advice?

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

correction AS DESCRIBED PREVIOUSLY IN THE FUNCTION

"T.Mad" wrote:

Hi there
I have a query about the lookup function.
In one column there are registered the names of some people and in a second
column there are registered the ages of these people. In another cell I have
a part of the names list and I want to use the lookup function to find the
age of these people. The example is illustrated below:

mary 33 peter =LOOKUP(C1;$A$1:$A$8;$B$1:$B$8)
peter 44 mary =LOOKUP(C2;$A$1:$A$8;$B$1:$B$8)
john 65 ted =LOOKUP(C3;$A$1:$A$8;$B$1:$B$8)