Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Default $ symbol in a formula

Is there a way to highlight a bunch of formula's and automatically have the $
sign added before the column identifier and the row identifier versus going
into ever formula in every cell and manually enteringr the $ sign before each
column or row indentifier? I understand the drag and auto fill which works
perfect since my worksheets are all set up in the same format, but now I'm
having to go into every cell to add the $ to lock where it is retrieving the
info. from - very time consuming - any suggestions?
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

You can use Find & Replace a few times to change, for example:

(A

to ($A$

if your formula contains a reference to cells in column A after a
bracket.

Hope this helps.

Pete

On Sep 18, 3:39*pm, RAB2685 wrote:
Is there a way to highlight a bunch of formula's and automatically have the $
sign added before the column identifier and the row identifier versus going
into ever formula in every cell and manually enteringr the $ sign before each
column or row indentifier? *I understand the drag and auto fill which works
perfect since my worksheets are all set up in the same format, but now I'm
having to go into every cell to add the $ to lock where it is retrieving the
info. from - very time consuming - any suggestions?

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

On Sep 18, 9:39 am, RAB2685 wrote:
Is there a way to highlight a bunch of formula's and automatically have the $
sign added before the column identifier and the row identifier versus going
into ever formula in every cell and manually enteringr the $ sign before each
column or row indentifier? I understand the drag and auto fill which works
perfect since my worksheets are all set up in the same format, but now I'm
having to go into every cell to add the $ to lock where it is retrieving the
info. from - very time consuming - any suggestions?

If you've already copy/dragged your formulas, why do they now need the
$s?
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Well I will try to explain:

I have a bunch of IF functions and looking at MAX dates of 2 different cells
on a different worksheet and it looked similar to this:

=(IF(MAX('HUT Trace'!AW26,BL26)1/1/2005,(MAX('HUT Trace'!AW26,BL26)+1),""))

But when I would filter the "output page" the formula would change to this
as an example (the 2nd row # would change causing a REF error:

=(IF(MAX('HUT Trace'!AW26,BL4)1/1/2005,(MAX('HUT Trace'!AW26,BL4)+1),""))

So when I do this:

=(IF(MAX('HUT Trace'!$AW$26,$BL$26)1/1/2005,(MAX('HUT
Trace'!$AW$26,$BL$26)+1),""))

Then my problem is solved. Not sure why the 2nd row number in each MAX
sequence would change and not the first one, but to overcome it if I lock the
columns and rows then the problem is fixed, but then duplicating the formula
to change rows was the problem but the find and replace is working way better
then adding the "$" to each formula.

"Spiky" wrote:

On Sep 18, 9:39 am, RAB2685 wrote:
Is there a way to highlight a bunch of formula's and automatically have the $
sign added before the column identifier and the row identifier versus going
into ever formula in every cell and manually enteringr the $ sign before each
column or row indentifier? I understand the drag and auto fill which works
perfect since my worksheets are all set up in the same format, but now I'm
having to go into every cell to add the $ to lock where it is retrieving the
info. from - very time consuming - any suggestions?

If you've already copy/dragged your formulas, why do they now need the
$s?

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Sub Absolute()
Dim Cell As Range
For Each Cell In Selection
If Cell.HasFormula Then
Cell.Formula = Application.ConvertFormula _
(Cell.Formula, xlA1, xlA1, xlAbsolute)
End If
Next
End Sub

Sub AbsoluteRow()
Dim Cell As Range
For Each Cell In Selection
If Cell.HasFormula Then
Cell.Formula = Application.ConvertFormula _
(Cell.Formula, xlA1, xlA1, xlAbsRowRelColumn)
Next
End Sub

Sub AbsoluteCol()
Dim Cell As Range
For Each Cell In Selection
If Cell.HasFormula Then
Cell.Formula = Application.ConvertFormula _
(Cell.Formula, xlA1, xlA1, xlRelRowAbsColumn)
Next
End Sub

Sub Relative()
Dim Cell As Range
For Each Cell In Selection
If Cell.HasFormula Then
Cell.Formula = Application.ConvertFormula _
(Cell.Formula, xlA1, xlA1, xlRelative)
Next
End Sub

Gord Dibben MS Excel MVP