Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Default sumproduct basic help

good morning everybody...........

i have 2 columns

col C col D
# in household income percent

2 50%
1 50%
2 30%
2 60%

column C's named range is "household". column D's named range is
"income."

what would be the formula (i believe sumproduct) to count the total
number of people in "household" who have 50% in income? the total
number of people in "household" who have a 60% "income"?

i've also tried this array formula:
=SUM((Household)*IF((Income="50%"),1)) but i get a *NUM* error.

thank you very much in advance for any help someone can give me.
susan

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

thanks a lot duke & don!
susan

"Susan" wrote:
good morning everybody...........

i have 2 columns

col C * * * * * * * * * * col D
# in household * * * *income percent

2 * * * * * * * * * * * * * 50%
1 * * * * * * * * * * * * * 50%
2 * * * * * * * * * * * * * 30%
2 * * * * * * * * * * * * * 60%
2 * * * * * * * * * * * * * 60%

column C's named range is "household". *column D's named range is
"income."

what would be the formula (i believe sumproduct) to count the total
number of people in "household" who have 50% in income? *the total
number of people in "household" who have a 60% "income"?

i've also tried this array formula:
=SUM((Household)*IF((Income="50%"),1)) but i get a *NUM* error.

thank you very much in advance for any help someone can give me.
susan- Hide quoted text -

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

=SUMIF(income,50%,household)

etc.

--
__________________________________
HTH

Bob

"Susan" wrote in message
good morning everybody...........

i have 2 columns

col C col D
# in household income percent

2 50%
1 50%
2 30%
2 60%
2 60%

column C's named range is "household". column D's named range is
"income."

what would be the formula (i believe sumproduct) to count the total
number of people in "household" who have 50% in income? the total
number of people in "household" who have a 60% "income"?

i've also tried this array formula:
=SUM((Household)*IF((Income="50%"),1)) but i get a *NUM* error.

thank you very much in advance for any help someone can give me.
susan

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

thanks bob....... just like macros, there's 50 ways to do the same
thing!
:)
susan

On Sep 8, 9:27*am, "Bob Phillips" wrote:
=SUMIF(income,50%,household)

etc.

--
__________________________________
HTH

Bob

"Susan" wrote in message

good morning everybody...........

i have 2 columns

col C * * * * * * * * * * col D
# in household * * * *income percent

2 * * * * * * * * * * * * * 50%
1 * * * * * * * * * * * * * 50%
2 * * * * * * * * * * * * * 30%
2 * * * * * * * * * * * * * 60%
2 * * * * * * * * * * * * * 60%

column C's named range is "household". *column D's named range is
"income."

what would be the formula (i believe sumproduct) to count the total
number of people in "household" who have 50% in income? *the total
number of people in "household" who have a 60% "income"?

i've also tried this array formula:
=SUM((Household)*IF((Income="50%"),1)) but i get a *NUM* error.

thank you very much in advance for any help someone can give me.
susan- Hide quoted text -

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

sorry i wasn't clear - i said "count" but i meant "sum".
i used the sumproduct formula & that worked. "sumif" probably would
have worked also, but i had already done it with the sumproduct.
:)
susan

On Sep 8, 10:37*am, "Don Guillett" wrote:
Susan. One thing that wasn't crystal clear in your post is whether you
wanted to COUNT the number of 50% or SUM the column for those with 50%?

--
Don Guillett
Microsoft MVP Excel

"Susan" wrote in message

good morning everybody...........

i have 2 columns

col C col D
# in household income percent

2 50%
1 50%
2 30%
2 60%
2 60%

column C's named range is "household". column D's named range is
"income."

what would be the formula (i believe sumproduct) to count the total
number of people in "household" who have 50% in income? the total
number of people in "household" who have a 60% "income"?

i've also tried this array formula:
=SUM((Household)*IF((Income="50%"),1)) but i get a *NUM* error.

thank you very much in advance for any help someone can give me.
susan- Hide quoted text -

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

But SUMIF is SO much more efficient than SUMPRODUCT, which is why I posted
it even though I had seen the SUMPRODUCT offering.

--
HTH

Bob