Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
Jo Jo is offline

Default Counting text cells then multiplying by a value in another column

Hello,
I need some help, im trying to use COUNTIF to count certain values in a
range of cells then multiply by a value in a corresponding column to those
cells that have those values.
For Example:
Col A, Col B
OS, 3
M, 2
S, 3
OS,2
L, 2
OS,3

What i need is say to count all the "OS" in Col A then multiply by
corresponding value in Col B.

Perhaps I am trying to use the wrong function.

Help!
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

What i need is say to count all the "OS" in Col A
then multiply by corresponding value in Col B.

Do want a conditional *sum* ?

=SUMIF(A1:A6,"OS",B1:B6)

Result = 8

--
Biff
Microsoft Excel MVP

"Jo" wrote in message
Hello,
I need some help, im trying to use COUNTIF to count certain values in a
range of cells then multiply by a value in a corresponding column to those
cells that have those values.
For Example:
Col A, Col B
OS, 3
M, 2
S, 3
OS,2
L, 2
OS,3

What i need is say to count all the "OS" in Col A then multiply by
corresponding value in Col B.

Perhaps I am trying to use the wrong function.

Help!

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
Max Max is offline

What i need is say to count all the "OS" in Col A then multiply by
corresponding value in Col B

I'm not really sure on your intents as expressed above ? Perhaps you could
illustrate by describing what is the result for OS, M, S, L based on the
sample data that you posted ?

Maybe you meant to sum up all values in col B for OS, then do likewise for
M, S, L ? If so, you could try a pivot table, its fast n easy to set it up.
Just place the header for col A in the ROW area, and the header for col B in
the DATA area (it'll appear as Sum of ... ). The pivot will return both the
uniques listing of items (from col A) in its left col, with the corresponding
sums for each item next to it.
--
Max
Singapore
"Jo" wrote:
I need some help, im trying to use COUNTIF to count certain values in a
range of cells then multiply by a value in a corresponding column to those
cells that have those values.
For Example:
Col A, Col B
OS, 3
M, 2
S, 3
OS,2
L, 2
OS,3

What i need is say to count all the "OS" in Col A then multiply by
corresponding value in Col B.

Perhaps I am trying to use the wrong function.

Help!

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
Jo Jo is offline

Default Counting text cells then multiplying by a value in another col

Thankyou, i was definetly trying to use the wrong function.

It worked. :-)

"Jo" wrote in message
Hello,
I need some help, im trying to use COUNTIF to count certain values in a
range of cells then multiply by a value in a corresponding column to those
cells that have those values.
For Example:
Col A, Col B
OS, 3
M, 2
S, 3
OS,2
L, 2
OS,3

What i need is say to count all the "OS" in Col A then multiply by
corresponding value in Col B.

Perhaps I am trying to use the wrong function.

Help!

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
Jo Jo is offline

Thankyou Max, this also worked. My intents where exactly what you thought. I
was wanting to sum up all values in col B for OS and likewise for M, S, L.

"Jo" wrote:
I need some help, im trying to use COUNTIF to count certain values in a
range of cells then multiply by a value in a corresponding column to those
cells that have those values.
For Example:
Col A, Col B
OS, 3
M, 2
S, 3
OS,2
L, 2
OS,3

What i need is say to count all the "OS" in Col A then multiply by
corresponding value in Col B.

Perhaps I am trying to use the wrong function.

Help!

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
Max Max is offline

Welcome, and thanks for feeding back.

Do take a moment to press the "Yes" buttons (like the ones below) for all