Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Default Finding and extracting text in a cell, splitting into smaller chun

Hi all,

I've tried to do this with a combination of search and right/left, but end
up with a 'too many arguments' problem once I try to build in error checks
etc.

What I'm trying to do is take the contents of a cell and split it into
component parts within the same sheet...

I have something like 1234;5678;9999;0000
and I want to get cells containing 1234, 5678, 9999 & 0000 seperated. The
trouble is the amount of data can vary, and I need to account for situations
with between zero ";" characters up to six of them.

Any ideas folks?

Thanks,
Marc

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Default Finding and extracting text in a cell, splitting into smaller

Hi Mike,

what I'm needing is a function equivalent sadly.
Here's a little background:

I have a list of invoices and a list of purchase orders within a workbook
populated directly from a database using MS Query. The invoice list should
have a single purchase order number for each entry, but in some cases they
have multiple numbers joined by the semi-colon. I'm needing to have a
function on the invoices data sheet that can identify these numbers and check
if they exist in the purchase orders sheet.
I can do the checking part of the function, but splitting out the contents
in order to do the checking is stumping me.

Marc