Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Default How to count number of characters in xl cell for publisher merge

I am doing a catalog merge in publisher. Data is in XL. Publisher has 255
character limit on merged info. How do I count the characters before I
execute the merge?
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Use the LEN (Length) function:

=LEN(A1)

--
Biff
Microsoft Excel MVP

"msloell" wrote in message
I am doing a catalog merge in publisher. Data is in XL. Publisher has 255
character limit on merged info. How do I count the characters before I
execute the merge?

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Default function - LEN

Hi Biff!
using the =len(a1) works fine unless the cell is empty/blank; it returns count of 1 for blank cell--how do I account for these? I assume it would be an if statement of some kind??

T. Valko wrote:

How to count number of characters in xl cell for publisher merge
31-Aug-08

Use the LEN (Length) function:

=LEN(A1)

--
Biff
Microsoft Excel MVP

On Sunday, August 31, 2008 4:19 PM
msloel wrote:

How to count number of characters in xl cell for publisher merge
I am doing a catalog merge in publisher. Data is in XL. Publisher has 255
character limit on merged info. How do I count the characters before I
execute the merge?

On Sunday, August 31, 2008 4:26 PM
T. Valko wrote:

How to count number of characters in xl cell for publisher merge
Use the LEN (Length) function:

=LEN(A1)

--
Biff
Microsoft Excel MVP

ADO.NET 3.5 Cookbook by Bill Hamilton [O'Reilly]
http://www.eggheadcafe.com/tutorials...book-by-b.aspx
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Your cell isn't empty.

Try selecting that cell and hitting the delete key on the keyboard.

What happens to that =len() formula?

If it stays 1, then maybe you have calculation set to manual.
Tools|Options|calculation tab is where you'd change it in xl2003 menus.

My guess is that you have some white space character (space bar or HTML
non-breaking space????) in that cell.

T. Valko wrote:

How to count number of characters in xl cell for publisher merge
Use the LEN (Length) function:

=LEN(A1)

--
Biff
Microsoft Excel MVP

ADO.NET 3.5 Cookbook by Bill Hamilton [O'Reilly]
http://www.eggheadcafe.com/tutorials...book-by-b.aspx

--

Dave Peterson
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Wrong, Matt! LEN does not return 1 for an empty or blank cell.
For either a completely empty cell or a cell with the empty string ="", LEN
returns zero.
If you are seeing a LEN of 1, you do not have a blank or empty cell; you
have a character in there.
You can see which character with =CODE(A1). If it returns 32, you have a
space, if it returns 160, you have a non-breaking space.
--
David Biddulph

T. Valko wrote:

How to count number of characters in xl cell for publisher merge
Use the LEN (Length) function:

=LEN(A1)

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

How did you know his name was Matt, David?

Pete

T. Valko wrote:

How to count number of characters in xl cell for publisher merge
Use the LEN (Length) function:

=LEN(A1)- Hide quoted text -

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
Max Max is offline

using the =len(a1) works fine unless the cell is empty/blank;
.. it returns count of 1 for blank cell

The result should be zero, not 1
You probably have an invisible white space which is causing the error
Try usingTRIM: =LEN(TRIM(A1))
--
Max
Singapore

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

"Pete_UK" wrote:
How did you know his name was Matt, David?

In Google Groups, click on Hide Options to see the From header record.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

"Visitor" wrote:
"Pete_UK" wrote:
How did you know his name was Matt, David?

In Google Groups, click on Hide Options to see the From header record.

I meant More Options. It changes to Hide Options after you click on More
Options.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Maybe from the post that matt hinkle authored?

matt hinkle wrote:
Hi Biff!
using the =len(a1) works fine unless the cell is empty/blank; it
returns count of 1 for blank cell--how do I account for these? I
assume it would be an if statement of some kind??

Gord

T. Valko wrote:

How to count number of characters in xl cell for publisher merge
Use the LEN (Length) function:

=LEN(A1)- Hide quoted text -

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Of course !!

All I saw was "- Show quoted text -" after your post, and I didn't
think to expand it.

Thanks to all for setting me right <sheepish grin

Pete

T. Valko wrote:

How to count number of characters in xl cell for publisher merge
Use the LEN (Length) function:

=LEN(A1)- Hide quoted text -

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

matt hinkle wrote:
Hi Biff!
using the =len(a1) works fine unless the cell is empty/blank; it
returns count of 1 for blank cell--how do I account for these? I
assume it would be an if statement of some kind??

Gord

On Wed, 21 Oct 2009 15:56:17 -0700 (PDT), Pete_UK
wrote:How did you know his name was Matt, David?

T. Valko wrote:

How to count number of characters in xl cell for publisher merge
Use the LEN (Length) function:

=LEN(A1)- Hide quoted text -

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Thank you so much for clearing that up! There ARE spaces involved; I
didn't even think to check for that!
Thanks again for the expert help!