Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
Dave Peterson Dave Peterson is offline

Default function - LEN

Your cell isn't empty.

Try selecting that cell and hitting the delete key on the keyboard.

What happens to that =len() formula?

If it stays 1, then maybe you have calculation set to manual.
Tools|Options|calculation tab is where you'd change it in xl2003 menus.

My guess is that you have some white space character (space bar or HTML
non-breaking space????) in that cell.

matt, hinkle wrote:

Hi Biff!
using the =len(a1) works fine unless the cell is empty/blank; it returns count of 1 for blank cell--how do I account for these? I assume it would be an if statement of some kind??

T. Valko wrote:

How to count number of characters in xl cell for publisher merge
31-Aug-08

Use the LEN (Length) function:

=LEN(A1)

--
Biff
Microsoft Excel MVP

On Sunday, August 31, 2008 4:19 PM
msloel wrote:

How to count number of characters in xl cell for publisher merge
I am doing a catalog merge in publisher. Data is in XL. Publisher has 255
character limit on merged info. How do I count the characters before I
execute the merge?

On Sunday, August 31, 2008 4:26 PM
T. Valko wrote:

How to count number of characters in xl cell for publisher merge
Use the LEN (Length) function:

=LEN(A1)

--
Biff
Microsoft Excel MVP

ADO.NET 3.5 Cookbook by Bill Hamilton [O'Reilly]
http://www.eggheadcafe.com/tutorials...book-by-b.aspx

--

Dave Peterson