Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Default Change formula based upon value of a different cell

In cell E2, I would like a formula which will generate a "Y" if the item in
cell C2 is taxable, and a "N" if the item in cell C2 is not taxable .
The items that are not taxable in cell C2 is either "EVERGREEN", "METRO",
"RAILPOOL", or "SEACASTLE"; all other items are taxable.

Then, if there is a "Y" in E2, the formula in F2 would be "=(A2+B2)*1.07"
If there is "N" in E2, the formula in F2 would be just "=(A2+B2)"

Thanks for any assistance...

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

You could put this in E2:

=IF(C2="","",IF(OR(C2="Evergreen",C2="Metro",C2="R ailpool",C2="Seacastle"),"N","Y"))

to return Y or N as appropriate as long as C2 is not empty. Put this
one in F2:

=IF(E2="","",IF(E2="Y",(A2+B2)*1.07,A2+B2))

You will again get a blank returned if E2 (and thus C2) is blank,
otherwise your calculated values.

Hope this helps.

Pete

On Aug 29, 11:22*pm, "Steve" wrote:
In cell E2, I would like a formula which will generate a "Y" if the item in
cell C2 is taxable, and a "N" if the item in cell C2 is not taxable .
The items that are not taxable in cell C2 is either "EVERGREEN", "METRO",
"RAILPOOL", or "SEACASTLE"; all other items are taxable.

Then, if there is a "Y" in E2, the formula in F2 would be "=(A2+B2)*1.07"
If there is "N" in E2, the formula in F2 would be just "=(A2+B2)"

Thanks for any assistance...

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

E2: =if(or(c2="evergreen",c2="metro",c2="railpool",c2= "seacastle"),"Y","N")
F2: =(a2+b2)*(1+if(e2="y",.07,0))

Suggestion:
Instead of the long If statement in E2, use a lookup table. Then when your
products change, or the tax rate changes, you don't have to change any
formulas. Checkout Vlookup in Help.

Regards,
Fred.

"Steve" wrote in message
m...
In cell E2, I would like a formula which will generate a "Y" if the item
in cell C2 is taxable, and a "N" if the item in cell C2 is not taxable .
The items that are not taxable in cell C2 is either "EVERGREEN", "METRO",
"RAILPOOL", or "SEACASTLE"; all other items are taxable.

Then, if there is a "Y" in E2, the formula in F2 would be "=(A2+B2)*1.07"
If there is "N" in E2, the formula in F2 would be just "=(A2+B2)"

Thanks for any assistance...

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

In E2:

=IF(OR(C2={"Evergreen","Metro","Railpool","Seacast le"}),"N",IF(C2="","","Y"))

In F2:

=(E2="N")*(A2+B2)+(E2="Y")*(A2+B2)*1.07
--
HTH,