Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Default Hyperlink link_location error

Hello, trying to jump to a different page in the same workbook. I keep
getting the error 'cannot open the specified file', though i am working in
the requested file. I suspect i have an error in the link_location somehow.

Current hyperlink:
=HYPERLINK("[Revco -80 freezer] CHiP Validation Primers!A1","Gaby ChIP
Validation Primers working / ")

where 'Revco -80 freezer' is the file I'm working in
where 'CHip Validation Primers' is the page I want to go to and
where 'Gaby ChIP Validation Primers working / ' is the freindly_name
displayed and
where A1 is the cell to go to.

What am I doing wrong?
thanks,Cynthia
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Try it like this:

=HYPERLINK("[Revco -80 freezer.xls]CHiP Validation Primers!A1","Gaby
ChIP Validation Primers working / ")

i.e. you must include the .xls extension with the filename.

Hope this helps.

Pete

On Aug 27, 3:15*pm, Cynthia Haggerty <Cynthia
wrote:
Hello, trying to jump to a different page in the same workbook. *I keep
getting the error 'cannot open the specified file', though i am working in
the requested file. *I suspect i have an error in the link_location somehow.

Current hyperlink:
=HYPERLINK("[Revco -80 freezer] CHiP Validation Primers!A1","Gaby ChIP
Validation Primers working / ")

where 'Revco -80 freezer' is the file I'm working in
where 'CHip Validation Primers' is the page I want to go to and
where 'Gaby ChIP Validation Primers working / ' is the freindly_name
displayed and
where A1 is the cell to go to.

What am I doing wrong?
thanks,Cynthia

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

1. drop the workbook / file name - not necessary
2. because the tab name has embedded spaces, it must be protected by single
quotes:

=HYPERLINK("#'CHiP Validation Primers'!A1","Gaby ChIP Validation Primers
working / ")

--
Gary''s Student - gsnu200801

wrote:
Hello, trying to jump to a different page in the same workbook. I keep
getting the error 'cannot open the specified file', though i am working in
the requested file. I suspect i have an error in the link_location somehow.

Current hyperlink:
=HYPERLINK("[Revco -80 freezer] CHiP Validation Primers!A1","Gaby ChIP
Validation Primers working / ")

where 'Revco -80 freezer' is the file I'm working in
where 'CHip Validation Primers' is the page I want to go to and
where 'Gaby ChIP Validation Primers working / ' is the freindly_name
displayed and
where A1 is the cell to go to.

What am I doing wrong?
thanks,Cynthia

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Okay, I omitted the 2 apostrophes around the reference - try this:

=HYPERLINK("'[Revco -80 freezer.xls]CHiP Validation Primers'!A1","Gaby
ChIP Validation Primers working / ")

or this is a bit shorter:

=HYPERLINK("#'CHiP Validation Primers'!A1","Gaby ChIP Validation
Primers working / ")

The # basically means "in this file".

Hope this helps.

Pete

wrote:
Hello, trying to jump to a different page in the same workbook. *I keep
getting the error 'cannot open the specified file', though i am working in
the requested file. *I suspect i have an error in the link_location somehow.

Current hyperlink:
=HYPERLINK("[Revco -80 freezer] CHiP Validation Primers!A1","Gaby ChIP
Validation Primers working / ")

where 'Revco -80 freezer' is the file I'm working in
where 'CHip Validation Primers' is the page I want to go to and
where 'Gaby ChIP Validation Primers working / ' is the freindly_name
displayed and
where A1 is the cell to go to.

What am I doing wrong?
thanks,Cynthia- Hide quoted text -

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Hi Pete:

Is there any way to hyperlink to a Named cell using the hyperlink function??
--
Gary''s Student - gsnu2007xx

wrote:
Hello, trying to jump to a different page in the same workbook. I keep
getting the error 'cannot open the specified file', though i am working in
the requested file. I suspect i have an error in the link_location somehow.

Current hyperlink:
=HYPERLINK("[Revco -80 freezer] CHiP Validation Primers!A1","Gaby ChIP
Validation Primers working / ")

where 'Revco -80 freezer' is the file I'm working in
where 'CHip Validation Primers' is the page I want to go to and
where 'Gaby ChIP Validation Primers working / ' is the freindly_name
displayed and
where A1 is the cell to go to.

What am I doing wrong?
thanks,Cynthia- Hide quoted text -

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

OK< tried that no dice error is now 'reference is not valid'

What's that # in there for? I put it in as displayed...

without it I get the 'cannot open the sepcified file' error.

Oh and i am including the file name because eventually i'll be jumping to
another book.

Thanks!
Cynthia

wrote:
Hello, trying to jump to a different page in the same workbook. I keep
getting the error 'cannot open the specified file', though i am working in
the requested file. I suspect i have an error in the link_location somehow.

Current hyperlink:
=HYPERLINK("[Revco -80 freezer] CHiP Validation Primers!A1","Gaby ChIP
Validation Primers working / ")

where 'Revco -80 freezer' is the file I'm working in
where 'CHip Validation Primers' is the page I want to go to and
where 'Gaby ChIP Validation Primers working / ' is the freindly_name
displayed and
where A1 is the cell to go to.

What am I doing wrong?
thanks,Cynthia

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Use this:

=HYPERLINK("#My_name","jump")

My_name referred to cell H12 in the Sheet1, and the formula worked
from that sheet and from Sheet2. I've not tried it into another file.

Hope this helps.

Pete

wrote:
Hello, trying to jump to a different page in the same workbook. *I keep
getting the error 'cannot open the specified file', though i am working in
the requested file. *I suspect i have an error in the link_location somehow.

Current hyperlink:
=HYPERLINK("[Revco -80 freezer] CHiP Validation Primers!A1","Gaby ChIP
Validation Primers working / ")

where 'Revco -80 freezer' is the file I'm working in
where 'CHip Validation Primers' is the page I want to go to and
where 'Gaby ChIP Validation Primers working / ' is the freindly_name
displayed and
where A1 is the cell to go to.

What am I doing wrong?
thanks,Cynthia- Hide quoted text -

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Are you sure you have spelt the filename exactly correct? Make sure
you have the right number of spaces (for example, should there be a
space after the hyphen? Are there any double-spaces in the filename?)

Pete

"Pete_UK" wrote:
Okay, I omitted the 2 apostrophes around the reference - try this:

=HYPERLINK("'[Revco -80 freezer.xls]CHiP Validation Primers'!A1","Gaby
ChIP Validation Primers working / ")

or this is a bit shorter:

=HYPERLINK("#'CHiP Validation Primers'!A1","Gaby ChIP Validation
Primers working / ")

The # basically means "in this file".

Hope this helps.

Pete

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Very sure. I copied it from the directory, beacuse that was one of the first
things i thought of. I did try it with the # =HYPERLINK("#'CHiP Validation
Primers'!A1","Gaby ChIP Validation Primers working / ") and got reference
not valid. also tried without the cell number =HYPERLINK("#'CHiP Validation
Primers'","Gaby ChIP Validation Primers working / ") and got 'reference is
not valid'

Cynthia

"Pete_UK" wrote:
Okay, I omitted the 2 apostrophes around the reference - try this:

=HYPERLINK("'[Revco -80 freezer.xls]CHiP Validation Primers'!A1","Gaby
ChIP Validation Primers working / ")

or this is a bit shorter:

=HYPERLINK("#'CHiP Validation Primers'!A1","Gaby ChIP Validation
Primers working / ")

The # basically means "in this file".

Hope this helps.

Pete

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

I put a workbook in C:\Temp
and this worked for me:

=HYPERLINK("[C:\Temp\Revco -80 freezer.xls]'CHiP Validation Primers'!A1")

Naturally you will adjust for your own folder name and include any
"friendly" name in the function call.

I had to:

1. include the full path/filename between the brackets
2. include the tab name between the single quotes
--
Gary''s Student - gsnu200801

"Pete_UK" wrote:
Okay, I omitted the 2 apostrophes around the reference - try this:

=HYPERLINK("'[Revco -80 freezer.xls]CHiP Validation Primers'!A1","Gaby
ChIP Validation Primers working / ")

or this is a bit shorter:

=HYPERLINK("#'CHiP Validation Primers'!A1","Gaby ChIP Validation
Primers working / ")

The # basically means "in this file".

Hope this helps.

Pete

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Hooray! It works! total path name! with single quotes around the tab!

=HYPERLINK("[pathname\file name.ext]'tab name'!CR","friendly name")

Thanks all for the discussion! I was able to repeat the sucess. So I feel
confident that that's the correct answer.

THANK YOU! THANK YOU! THANK YOU!

Cynthia

"Pete_UK" wrote:
Okay, I omitted the 2 apostrophes around the reference - try this:

=HYPERLINK("'[Revco -80 freezer.xls]CHiP Validation Primers'!A1","Gaby
ChIP Validation Primers working / ")

or this is a bit shorter:

=HYPERLINK("#'CHiP Validation Primers'!A1","Gaby ChIP Validation
Primers working / ")

The # basically means "in this file".

Hope this helps.

Pete

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

You are very welcome. This will be as valuable to me as to you.
--
Gary''s Student - gsnu200801

"Pete_UK" wrote:
Okay, I omitted the 2 apostrophes around the reference - try this:

=HYPERLINK("'[Revco -80 freezer.xls]CHiP Validation Primers'!A1","Gaby
ChIP Validation Primers working / ")

or this is a bit shorter:

=HYPERLINK("#'CHiP Validation Primers'!A1","Gaby ChIP Validation
Primers working / ")

The # basically means "in this file".

Hope this helps.

Pete

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Me as well - I don't use hyperlinks very often, but I've learnt
something today with this.

Thanks.

Pete