Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
Baz Baz is offline

Default help with adding up hours and mins please

Hi I am trying to add up the total number of hours worked by staff over a
montly period by inserting times in colums for days 1 - 31. When I add
formula =sum(a1:a31) the total is way out because the times mins are being
treated as tenths and hundreths and the total for hours gets to 24 then
reverts back to one.

how do I get hours and mins to add up as hours and mins ?

Cheers

Baz
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Format the the total cell as [h]:mm

The [ ] will keep the hours from rolling over.

--
Biff
Microsoft Excel MVP

"baz" wrote in message
Hi I am trying to add up the total number of hours worked by staff over a
montly period by inserting times in colums for days 1 - 31. When I add
formula =sum(a1:a31) the total is way out because the times mins are being
treated as tenths and hundreths and the total for hours gets to 24 then
reverts back to one.

how do I get hours and mins to add up as hours and mins ?

Cheers

Baz

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
Baz Baz is offline

T - Spot on Thank you - just done a dummy test and it looks ok - can go to
work on Monday and be a right smarty pants !!!

regards

Baz

"baz" wrote in message
Hi I am trying to add up the total number of hours worked by staff over a
montly period by inserting times in colums for days 1 - 31. When I add
formula =sum(a1:a31) the total is way out because the times mins are being
treated as tenths and hundreths and the total for hours gets to 24 then
reverts back to one.

how do I get hours and mins to add up as hours and mins ?

Cheers

Baz

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Cool! Thanks for the feedback!