Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Default Formulas?

If anyone can help me with this or try to point me in the right direction I
would be grateful. I am trying to type a specific number in one cell and then
have text appear in the cell below. Example cell c8 I type 3113 and in cell
c10 have Chicago, IL appear. Thing is I have about 200 different numbers
representing different city's and states, so next time cell c8 might be 3001
and then need cell c10 read New York, NY. Any suggestions, thanks in advance
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Using help research vlookup()

You will need to create at table

This will get you what you want

Just remember that the false in the equation below would be important
=vlookup(c8,tablename,2,false)

the false will make sure that you will have a match

you may also want to use the following

=if(isna(vlookup(c8,tablename,2,false)),"",vlookup (c8,tablename,2,false))

to make sure that if a number is selected - you won't get the nasty N/A
showing up in the cell.

Hope that helps...
--
Wag more, bark less

"YanksRock" wrote:

If anyone can help me with this or try to point me in the right direction I
would be grateful. I am trying to type a specific number in one cell and then
have text appear in the cell below. Example cell c8 I type 3113 and in cell
c10 have Chicago, IL appear. Thing is I have about 200 different numbers
representing different city's and states, so next time cell c8 might be 3001
and then need cell c10 read New York, NY. Any suggestions, thanks in advance

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

hi
you need to put your numbers and cities in table off to the side then use
VLookup in c10 to search the table and return the city based on what number
you entered in c8.

regards
FSt1