Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Default If/Then Formulas

Hello and Good Day =)

I am in need of some help...

I would like to create a formula where
IF cell F7 =1 then E7*1, IF F7=2 then E7*1, IF F7=3, then E7*2

Any help would be appreciated, I know it can be done, but haven't a clue as
to how ;-)

Thanx ~ Bkg.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

=IF(OR(F7=1,F7=2),E7*1,E7*2)
--
Hope this helps.
Thanks in advance for your feedback.

"Bk Goto" wrote:

Hello and Good Day =)

I am in need of some help...

I would like to create a formula where
IF cell F7 =1 then E7*1, IF F7=2 then E7*1, IF F7=3, then E7*2

Any help would be appreciated, I know it can be done, but haven't a clue as
to how ;-)

Thanx ~ Bkg.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Bk Goto wrote:
Hello and Good Day =)

I am in need of some help...

I would like to create a formula where
IF cell F7 =1 then E7*1, IF F7=2 then E7*1, IF F7=3, then E7*2

Any help would be appreciated, I know it can be done, but haven't a clue as
to how ;-)

Thanx ~ Bkg.

=IF(OR(F7=1,F7=2),E7,IF(F7=3,E7*2,"F7 is not 1, 2 or 3"))

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

You are the best!! I knew XL could do it, but I am self taught, and never
had the need for such a formula.

THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU!!!!
--
Bkg.

"Gary Brown" wrote:

=IF(OR(F7=1,F7=2),E7*1,E7*2)
--

"Bk Goto" wrote:

Hello and Good Day =)

I am in need of some help...

I would like to create a formula where
IF cell F7 =1 then E7*1, IF F7=2 then E7*1, IF F7=3, then E7*2

Any help would be appreciated, I know it can be done, but haven't a clue as
to how ;-)

Thanx ~ Bkg.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

On Tue, 12 Aug 2008 12:56:28 -0700, Bk Goto
wrote:

Hello and Good Day =)

I am in need of some help...

I would like to create a formula where
IF cell F7 =1 then E7*1, IF F7=2 then E7*1, IF F7=3, then E7*2

Any help would be appreciated, I know it can be done, but haven't a clue as
to how ;-)

Thanx ~ Bkg.

Just to add another formula to the collection you have already got:

=E7*(4-3*F7+F7*F7)/2

Shortest so far I guess, but also the least recommended to use because
it is difficult to see through and hard to update when the
requirements change.

Lars-Åke
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

wrote:

Hello and Good Day =)

I am in need of some help...

I would like to create a formula where
IF cell F7 =1 then E7*1, IF F7=2 then E7*1, IF F7=3, then E7*2

Any help would be appreciated, I know it can be done, but haven't a clue as
to how ;-)

Thanx ~ Bkg.

Just to add another formula to the collection you have already got:

=E7*(4-3*F7+F7*F7)/2

Shortest so far I guess, but also the least recommended to use because
it is difficult to see through and hard to update when the
requirements change.

Lars-Åke

Even shorter :-)

=E7*(4-3*F7+F7^2)/2

Lars-Åke

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

I suspect the OP didn't want to broaden his/her horizons beyond IF

=E7*(4-3*F7+F7^2)/2

Nice ;)

Mike

"Lars-Ã…ke Aspelin" wrote:

wrote:

Hello and Good Day =)

I am in need of some help...

I would like to create a formula where
IF cell F7 =1 then E7*1, IF F7=2 then E7*1, IF F7=3, then E7*2

Any help would be appreciated, I know it can be done, but haven't a clue as
to how ;-)

Thanx ~ Bkg.

Just to add another formula to the collection you have already got:

=E7*(4-3*F7+F7*F7)/2

Shortest so far I guess, but also the least recommended to use because
it is difficult to see through and hard to update when the
requirements change.

Lars-Ã…ke

Even shorter :-)

=E7*(4-3*F7+F7^2)/2

Lars-Ã…ke

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

And even shorter than that...

=E7*INT(1+F7/3)

Rick

"Rick Rothstein (MVP - VB)" wrote in
message ...

wrote:

Hello and Good Day =)

I am in need of some help...

I would like to create a formula where
IF cell F7 =1 then E7*1, IF F7=2 then E7*1, IF F7=3, then E7*2

Any help would be appreciated, I know it can be done, but haven't a clue
as
to how ;-)

Thanx ~ Bkg.

Just to add another formula to the collection you have already got:

=E7*(4-3*F7+F7*F7)/2

Shortest so far I guess, but also the least recommended to use because
it is difficult to see through and hard to update when the
requirements change.

Lars-Åke

Even shorter :-)

=E7*(4-3*F7+F7^2)/2

Lars-Åke

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

I think we have a winner

"Rick Rothstein (MVP - VB)" wrote:

And even shorter yet<g...

=E7*(1+INT(F7/3))

Rick

wrote:

Hello and Good Day =)

I am in need of some help...

I would like to create a formula where
IF cell F7 =1 then E7*1, IF F7=2 then E7*1, IF F7=3, then E7*2

Any help would be appreciated, I know it can be done, but haven't a clue
as
to how ;-)

Thanx ~ Bkg.

Just to add another formula to the collection you have already got:

=E7*(4-3*F7+F7*F7)/2

Shortest so far I guess, but also the least recommended to use because
it is difficult to see through and hard to update when the
requirements change.

Lars-Ã…ke

Even shorter :-)

=E7*(4-3*F7+F7^2)/2

Lars-Ã…ke

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Think again...This one even shorter than Rick.R

=((F7=3)+1)*E7

"Mike H" wrote:

I think we have a winner

wrote:

Hello and Good Day =)

I am in need of some help...

I would like to create a formula where
IF cell F7 =1 then E7*1, IF F7=2 then E7*1, IF F7=3, then E7*2

Any help would be appreciated, I know it can be done, but haven't a clue
as
to how ;-)

Thanx ~ Bkg.

Just to add another formula to the collection you have already got:

=E7*(4-3*F7+F7*F7)/2

Shortest so far I guess, but also the least recommended to use because
it is difficult to see through and hard to update when the
requirements change.

Lars-Ã…ke

Even shorter :-)

=E7*(4-3*F7+F7^2)/2

Lars-Ã…ke

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Nice! Not only is it one shorter than mine... it uses no function calls
either.

Rick

"Teethless mama" wrote in message
Think again...This one even shorter than Rick.R

=((F7=3)+1)*E7

"Mike H" wrote:

I think we have a winner

wrote:

Hello and Good Day =)

I am in need of some help...

I would like to create a formula where
IF cell F7 =1 then E7*1, IF F7=2 then E7*1, IF F7=3, then E7*2

Any help would be appreciated, I know it can be done, but haven't a
clue
as
to how ;-)

Thanx ~ Bkg.

Just to add another formula to the collection you have already got:

=E7*(4-3*F7+F7*F7)/2

Shortest so far I guess, but also the least recommended to use
because
it is difficult to see through and hard to update when the
requirements change.

Lars-Ã…ke

Even shorter :-)

=E7*(4-3*F7+F7^2)/2

Lars-Ã…ke

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

LOL... you are going to kick yourself for missing this! One character
shorter...

=E7*(F7=3)+E7

Rick

"Teethless mama" wrote in message
Think again...This one even shorter than Rick.R

=((F7=3)+1)*E7

"Mike H" wrote:

I think we have a winner

wrote:

Hello and Good Day =)

I am in need of some help...

I would like to create a formula where
IF cell F7 =1 then E7*1, IF F7=2 then E7*1, IF F7=3, then E7*2

Any help would be appreciated, I know it can be done, but haven't a
clue
as
to how ;-)

Thanx ~ Bkg.

Just to add another formula to the collection you have already got:

=E7*(4-3*F7+F7*F7)/2

Shortest so far I guess, but also the least recommended to use
because
it is difficult to see through and hard to update when the
requirements change.

Lars-Ã…ke

Even shorter :-)

=E7*(4-3*F7+F7^2)/2

Lars-Ã…ke

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Of course, it is only shorter as long as the Column E address is an address
composed of 2 characters (in the range A1:Z9). If the address is 3
characters long, then the formulas are the same length; and, if the address
is 4 or more characters long, then your form of the formula will be shorter.

Rick

"Rick Rothstein (MVP - VB)" wrote in
message ...
LOL... you are going to kick yourself for missing this! One character
shorter...

=E7*(F7=3)+E7

Rick

"Teethless mama" wrote in
message ...
Think again...This one even shorter than Rick.R

=((F7=3)+1)*E7

"Mike H" wrote:

I think we have a winner

wrote:

Hello and Good Day =)

I am in need of some help...

I would like to create a formula where
IF cell F7 =1 then E7*1, IF F7=2 then E7*1, IF F7=3, then E7*2

Any help would be appreciated, I know it can be done, but haven't a
clue
as
to how ;-)

Thanx ~ Bkg.

Just to add another formula to the collection you have already got:

=E7*(4-3*F7+F7*F7)/2

Shortest so far I guess, but also the least recommended to use
because
it is difficult to see through and hard to update when the
requirements change.

Lars-Ã…ke

Even shorter :-)

=E7*(4-3*F7+F7^2)/2

Lars-Ã…ke

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

And if F7 contains no data, every one of these 'shorter solutions' is
incorrect. I will even allow that there is DV allowing only whole numbers
from 1 to 3, but until F7 is populated, every formula will have some output
that will be incorrect.
--
John C

"Rick Rothstein (MVP - VB)" wrote:

Of course, it is only shorter as long as the Column E address is an address
composed of 2 characters (in the range A1:Z9). If the address is 3
characters long, then the formulas are the same length; and, if the address
is 4 or more characters long, then your form of the formula will be shorter.

Rick

"Rick Rothstein (MVP - VB)" wrote in
message ...
LOL... you are going to kick yourself for missing this! One character
shorter...

=E7*(F7=3)+E7

Rick

"Teethless mama" wrote in
message ...
Think again...This one even shorter than Rick.R

=((F7=3)+1)*E7

"Mike H" wrote:

I think we have a winner

wrote:

Hello and Good Day =)

I am in need of some help...

I would like to create a formula where
IF cell F7 =1 then E7*1, IF F7=2 then E7*1, IF F7=3, then E7*2

Any help would be appreciated, I know it can be done, but haven't a
clue
as
to how ;-)

Thanx ~ Bkg.

Just to add another formula to the collection you have already got:

=E7*(4-3*F7+F7*F7)/2

Shortest so far I guess, but also the least recommended to use
because
it is difficult to see through and hard to update when the
requirements change.

Lars-Ã…ke

Even shorter :-)

=E7*(4-3*F7+F7^2)/2

Lars-Ã…ke

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

And of course, stealing from Ricks' formula:
=E7*(F7=3)+E7*(F7={1,2,3})
--
John C

"Rick Rothstein (MVP - VB)" wrote:

Of course, it is only shorter as long as the Column E address is an address
composed of 2 characters (in the range A1:Z9). If the address is 3
characters long, then the formulas are the same length; and, if the address
is 4 or more characters long, then your form of the formula will be shorter.

Rick

"Rick Rothstein (MVP - VB)" wrote in
message ...
LOL... you are going to kick yourself for missing this! One character
shorter...

=E7*(F7=3)+E7

Rick

"Teethless mama" wrote in
message ...
Think again...This one even shorter than Rick.R

=((F7=3)+1)*E7

"Mike H" wrote:

I think we have a winner

wrote:

Hello and Good Day =)

I am in need of some help...

I would like to create a formula where
IF cell F7 =1 then E7*1, IF F7=2 then E7*1, IF F7=3, then E7*2

Any help would be appreciated, I know it can be done, but haven't a
clue
as
to how ;-)

Thanx ~ Bkg.

Just to add another formula to the collection you have already got:

=E7*(4-3*F7+F7*F7)/2

Shortest so far I guess, but also the least recommended to use
because
it is difficult to see through and hard to update when the
requirements change.

Lars-Ã…ke

Even shorter :-)

=E7*(4-3*F7+F7^2)/2

Lars-Ã…ke

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

No, mine failed too :)
--
John C

"Rick Rothstein (MVP - VB)" wrote:

Of course, it is only shorter as long as the Column E address is an address
composed of 2 characters (in the range A1:Z9). If the address is 3
characters long, then the formulas are the same length; and, if the address
is 4 or more characters long, then your form of the formula will be shorter.

Rick

"Rick Rothstein (MVP - VB)" wrote in
message ...
LOL... you are going to kick yourself for missing this! One character
shorter...

=E7*(F7=3)+E7

Rick

"Teethless mama" wrote in
message ...
Think again...This one even shorter than Rick.R

=((F7=3)+1)*E7

"Mike H" wrote:

I think we have a winner

wrote:

Hello and Good Day =)

I am in need of some help...

I would like to create a formula where
IF cell F7 =1 then E7*1, IF F7=2 then E7*1, IF F7=3, then E7*2

Any help would be appreciated, I know it can be done, but haven't a
clue
as
to how ;-)

Thanx ~ Bkg.

Just to add another formula to the collection you have already got:

=E7*(4-3*F7+F7*F7)/2

Shortest so far I guess, but also the least recommended to use
because
it is difficult to see through and hard to update when the
requirements change.

Lars-Ã…ke

Even shorter :-)

=E7*(4-3*F7+F7^2)/2

Lars-Ã…ke

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

=E7*(F7=3)+E7*(OR(F7={1,2,3}))
--
John C

"Rick Rothstein (MVP - VB)" wrote:

Of course, it is only shorter as long as the Column E address is an address
composed of 2 characters (in the range A1:Z9). If the address is 3
characters long, then the formulas are the same length; and, if the address
is 4 or more characters long, then your form of the formula will be shorter.

Rick

"Rick Rothstein (MVP - VB)" wrote in
message ...
LOL... you are going to kick yourself for missing this! One character
shorter...

=E7*(F7=3)+E7

Rick

"Teethless mama" wrote in
message ...
Think again...This one even shorter than Rick.R

=((F7=3)+1)*E7

"Mike H" wrote:

I think we have a winner

wrote:

Hello and Good Day =)

I am in need of some help...

I would like to create a formula where
IF cell F7 =1 then E7*1, IF F7=2 then E7*1, IF F7=3, then E7*2

Any help would be appreciated, I know it can be done, but haven't a
clue
as
to how ;-)

Thanx ~ Bkg.

Just to add another formula to the collection you have already got:

=E7*(4-3*F7+F7*F7)/2

Shortest so far I guess, but also the least recommended to use
because
it is difficult to see through and hard to update when the
requirements change.

Lars-Ã…ke

Even shorter :-)

=E7*(4-3*F7+F7^2)/2

Lars-Ã…ke

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

A little shorter<g....

=E7*MID("0112",F7+1,1)

Rick

"John C" <johnc@stateofdenial wrote in message
=E7*(F7=3)+E7*(OR(F7={1,2,3}))
--
John C

"Rick Rothstein (MVP - VB)" wrote:

Of course, it is only shorter as long as the Column E address is an
address
composed of 2 characters (in the range A1:Z9). If the address is 3
characters long, then the formulas are the same length; and, if the
address
is 4 or more characters long, then your form of the formula will be
shorter.

Rick

"Rick Rothstein (MVP - VB)" wrote
in
message ...
LOL... you are going to kick yourself for missing this! One character
shorter...

=E7*(F7=3)+E7

Rick

"Teethless mama" wrote in
message ...
Think again...This one even shorter than Rick.R

=((F7=3)+1)*E7

"Mike H" wrote:

I think we have a winner

wrote:

[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Nope, let's go back to Teethless mama's original form and modify it....

=((F7=3)+(F7<""))*E7

There... one character shorter. <g

"Rick Rothstein (MVP - VB)" wrote:

[...]

"Mike H" wrote:

I think we have a winner

wrote:

[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Again, assuming DV, even shorter

=E7*INT((F7+1)/2)
--
John C

"Rick Rothstein (MVP - VB)" wrote:

Of course, it is only shorter as long as the Column E address is an
address
composed of 2 characters (in the range A1:Z9). If the address is 3
characters long, then the formulas are the same length; and, if the
address
is 4 or more characters long, then your form of the formula will be
shorter.

Rick

"Rick Rothstein (MVP - VB)" wrote
in
message ...
LOL... you are going to kick yourself for missing this! One character
shorter...

=E7*(F7=3)+E7

Rick

"Teethless mama" wrote in
message ...
Think again...This one even shorter than Rick.R

=((F7=3)+1)*E7

"Mike H" wrote:

I think we have a winner

wrote:

[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

=E7*INT(1+F7/3)

<<<< Several skipped postings

Again, assuming DV, even shorter

=E7*INT((F7+1)/2)

Very nice!

LOL... I almost had that formula originally (I just needed to think about it
a "short" time more<g).

Rick

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Someone just tapped me on the shoulder, it was a veterinarian, he told me to
step take my club and step away from the horse, as he is well and truly dead.
--
John C

"Rick Rothstein (MVP - VB)" wrote:

=E7*INT(1+F7/3)

<<<< Several skipped postings

Again, assuming DV, even shorter

=E7*INT((F7+1)/2)

Very nice!

LOL... I almost had that formula originally (I just needed to think about it
a "short" time more<g).

Rick

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

On Wed, 13 Aug 2008 10:38:27 -0400, "Rick Rothstein \(MVP - VB\)"
wrote:

=E7*INT(1+F7/3)

<<<< Several skipped postings

Again, assuming DV, even shorter

=E7*INT((F7+1)/2)

Very nice!

LOL... I almost had that formula originally (I just needed to think about it
a "short" time more<g).

Rick

Here is an even shorter

=E7*INT(F7^.7)

Lars-Åke
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

1 less character...
=EVEN(H7)/2*G7
--
John C

"Lars-Ã…ke Aspelin" wrote:

On Wed, 13 Aug 2008 10:38:27 -0400, "Rick Rothstein \(MVP - VB\)"
wrote:

=E7*INT(1+F7/3)

<<<< Several skipped postings

Again, assuming DV, even shorter

=E7*INT((F7+1)/2)

Very nice!

LOL... I almost had that formula originally (I just needed to think about it
a "short" time more<g).

Rick

Here is an even shorter

=E7*INT(F7^.7)

Lars-Ã…ke

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Here is an even shorter

=E7*INT(F7^.7)

Bravo!!! It is hard to imagine that a shorter one will be found.

Rick
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Here is an even shorter

=E7*INT(F7^.7)

Bravo!!! It is hard to imagine that a shorter one will be found.

1 less character...
=EVEN(F7)/2*E7

LOL... I stand corrected. Excellent!

Rick

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

On Wed, 13 Aug 2008 15:01:17 -0400, "Rick Rothstein \(MVP - VB\)"
wrote:

Here is an even shorter

=E7*INT(F7^.7)

Bravo!!! It is hard to imagine that a shorter one will be found.

1 less character...
=EVEN(F7)/2*E7

LOL... I stand corrected. Excellent!

Rick

=E7*INT(F7^.7)

=EVEN(F7)/2*E7

Are they not of the same length? What am I missing?

Lars-Åke

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Your formula typed is good as gold, unfortunately, xl feels it must always
put a digit in front of the decimal, so your formula is actually:
=E7*INT(F7^0.7)

--
John C

wrote:

Here is an even shorter

=E7*INT(F7^.7)

Bravo!!! It is hard to imagine that a shorter one will be found.

1 less character...
=EVEN(F7)/2*E7

LOL... I stand corrected. Excellent!

Rick

=E7*INT(F7^.7)

=EVEN(F7)/2*E7

Are they not of the same length? What am I missing?

Lars-Ã…ke

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Here is an even shorter

=E7*INT(F7^.7)

Bravo!!! It is hard to imagine that a shorter one will be found.

1 less character...
=EVEN(F7)/2*E7

LOL... I stand corrected. Excellent!

Rick

=E7*INT(F7^.7)

=EVEN(F7)/2*E7

Are they not of the same length? What am I missing?

Hmm! I believed John without bothering to actually count the characters. So,
I guess... It's a tie! Interesting though... two completely different
approaches coming in at so few characters.

Rick

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Oh, now I see what you mean

Lars-Åke

On Wed, 13 Aug 2008 12:21:13 -0700, John C <johnc@stateofdenial
wrote:

Your formula typed is good as gold, unfortunately, xl feels it must always
put a digit in front of the decimal, so your formula is actually:
=E7*INT(F7^0.7)

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

See other post. No, they certainly aren't.
--
John C

"Peo Sjoblom" wrote:

They certainly are

Peo Sjoblom

wrote:

Here is an even shorter

=E7*INT(F7^.7)

Bravo!!! It is hard to imagine that a shorter one will be found.

1 less character...
=EVEN(F7)/2*E7

LOL... I stand corrected. Excellent!

Rick

=E7*INT(F7^.7)

=EVEN(F7)/2*E7

Are they not of the same length? What am I missing?

Lars-Ã…ke

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

That is because Excel has a bug/feature, if you enter the formula you enter
the same number of characters
so in my book they are the same size. I mean the only practical reason for
wanting a shorter formula must be
that you save time by entering less characters. Of course displayed using
default fonts your formula
actually takes up more cell space even if we include the padded zero <g

Peo Sjoblom

"John C" <johnc@stateofdenial wrote in message
See other post. No, they certainly aren't.
--
John C

"Peo Sjoblom" wrote:

They certainly are

Peo Sjoblom

wrote:

Here is an even shorter

=E7*INT(F7^.7)

Bravo!!! It is hard to imagine that a shorter one will be found.

1 less character...
=EVEN(F7)/2*E7

LOL... I stand corrected. Excellent!

Rick

=E7*INT(F7^.7)

=EVEN(F7)/2*E7

Are they not of the same length? What am I missing?

Lars-Åke

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Well, actually, the 'longer formula' causes the file size to be larger.
Admittedly just 1 character at a time, but it does actually take more memory
for the 'longer' formula.

I disagree with your assessment that the 0 before the decimal is a bug. It
is the value of 0 prior to the decimal, and this is a real and tangible value.

--
John C

"Peo Sjoblom" wrote:

That is because Excel has a bug/feature, if you enter the formula you enter
the same number of characters
so in my book they are the same size. I mean the only practical reason for
wanting a shorter formula must be
that you save time by entering less characters. Of course displayed using
default fonts your formula
actually takes up more cell space even if we include the padded zero <g

Peo Sjoblom

"John C" <johnc@stateofdenial wrote in message
See other post. No, they certainly aren't.
--
John C

"Peo Sjoblom" wrote:

They certainly are