Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Default link to a cell in an external spreedsheet

trying to reference a cell in an external spreadsheet. Can anyone help with
the syntax?
Terry
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Hi,

If the other workbook is open
=[mybook.xls]Sheet1!$A$1

or if its closed

='C:\mypath\[mybook.xls]Sheet1'!$A$1

Mike

"Terry" wrote:

trying to reference a cell in an external spreadsheet. Can anyone help with
the syntax?
Terry

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Open the sending workbook.
Change to the sheet with the cell
Select that cell
Edit|copy (or ctrl-c)

Swap to the receiving workbook.
Change to the sheet that gets the formula.
edit|paste special|paste link

If you close the sending workbook, you'll see that excel will adjust your
formula.

--

Dave Peterson
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

On Aug 7, 2:59*pm, Terry wrote:
trying to reference a cell in an external spreadsheet. Can anyone help with
the syntax?
Terry

Terry: Type the = sign, navigate to the cell you want linked, click on
it,and then Enter. Or am I missing something?
Pierre