Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Default Display row of the maximum in a list

Hey all,

I have a question regarding extractingt the row of the maximum number in a
list and referencing the cell next to it..
For instance,

A B
1 Data1 12
2 Data2 13
3 Data3 18
4 Data4 17

I want to find the maximum in column B (18) and display the A column
(Data3). It seems simple but I can't seem to do it for some reason.

Thanks for all the hope in advance.
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Hi

Assuming your data is between A1 and b4

use

=offset(B1,match(max(B:B),B:B,0)-1,-1,1,1)

hth
--
regards from Brazil
Thanks in advance for your feedback.

"Sungibungi" escreveu:

Hey all,

I have a question regarding extractingt the row of the maximum number in a
list and referencing the cell next to it..
For instance,

A B
1 Data1 12
2 Data2 13
3 Data3 18
4 Data4 17

I want to find the maximum in column B (18) and display the A column
(Data3). It seems simple but I can't seem to do it for some reason.

Thanks for all the hope in advance.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

One way:

=INDEX(A1:A4,MATCH(MAX(B1:B4),B1:B4,0))

Note that if there are multiple instances of the max value the formula will
"find" the 1st instance from the top.

--
Biff
Microsoft Excel MVP