Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Default formulas

Hi I'm really stuck and not sure where I'm going wrong.
If I put £100 in A1 and I put 40% in B1 and I want to take 40% away from
£100 then I thought the formulas in c1 would be =A1-B1 but it doesn't seem to
work. so what can I do to show A1 minus 40%?
Its doing my head in and I'm probably doing something really stupid. Please
help.
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

=a1-(a1*b1)

hope that helps
susan

On Jul 22, 8:23*am, onebraincell
wrote:
Hi I'm really stuck and not sure where I'm going wrong.
If I put £100 in A1 and I put 40% in B1 and I want to take 40% away from
£100 then I thought the formulas in c1 would be =A1-B1 but it doesn't seem to
work. so what can I do to show A1 minus 40%?
Its doing my head in and I'm probably doing something really stupid. Please
help.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
Max Max is offline

In say, C1: =A1*(1-B1)
--
Max
Singapore
"onebraincell" wrote:
Hi I'm really stuck and not sure where I'm going wrong.
If I put £100 in A1 and I put 40% in B1 and I want to take 40% away from
£100 then I thought the formulas in c1 would be =A1-B1 but it doesn't seem to
work. so what can I do to show A1 minus 40%?
Its doing my head in and I'm probably doing something really stupid. Please
help.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Thank you so much but could you explain why that formula. Sorry would just
like to know how in future.
Many many thanks

"Max" wrote:

In say, C1: =A1*(1-B1)
--
"onebraincell" wrote:
Hi I'm really stuck and not sure where I'm going wrong.
If I put £100 in A1 and I put 40% in B1 and I want to take 40% away from
£100 then I thought the formulas in c1 would be =A1-B1 but it doesn't seem to
work. so what can I do to show A1 minus 40%?
Its doing my head in and I'm probably doing something really stupid. Please
help.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
Max Max is offline

Since B1 contains the percentage to be taken away, hence the remaining
percentage will be: 1-B1 (this is the same as writing: 100%-B1)
The remaining value to be calculated is hence: A1 x (1-B1) or: =A1*(1-B1)

Take a moment to press the "Yes" button below
--
Max
Singapore
http://savefile.com/projects/236895
Downloads:16,200 Files:354 Subscribers:53
xdemechanik
---