Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Default IF Function Question

I am trying to format a column to show either "Paid", or nothing if the cell
next to it contains a certain value. Below is an example:

Cell C2 will either equal "Self" or "Bank". I want Cell C3 to say "Paid" if
C2=Bank, and to be blank if C2=Self. I keep getting a #NAME error and cannot
figure out why. This is the formula I am trying to use:

=IF(C2=Bank, "Paid", "")

What am I doing wrong?
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

hi
enclose the word bank in quotes and your problem will go away.
=IF(C2="Bank", "Paid", "")

regards
FSt1

"Michelle A" wrote:

I am trying to format a column to show either "Paid", or nothing if the cell
next to it contains a certain value. Below is an example:

Cell C2 will either equal "Self" or "Bank". I want Cell C3 to say "Paid" if
C2=Bank, and to be blank if C2=Self. I keep getting a #NAME error and cannot
figure out why. This is the formula I am trying to use:

=IF(C2=Bank, "Paid", "")

What am I doing wrong?

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

glad to help