Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Default IF Function Question

I'm having trouble figuring out how to properly do an =IF to make this work
the way I need. I have text in columns B & E, but some of the cells in
column B are empty. I need a formula that will look at column B and if it is
empty, copy the data from column E. If the cell in column B is not empty,
then keep what it already has. I tried using =IF(B327<"", E327, B327), but
I know the false is wrong. How do I accomplish this?
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

This is the formula

If(B327="",E327,B327)

Michael Arch

Please rate posting if helpful

"blucajun" wrote:

I'm having trouble figuring out how to properly do an =IF to make this work
the way I need. I have text in columns B & E, but some of the cells in
column B are empty. I need a formula that will look at column B and if it is
empty, copy the data from column E. If the cell in column B is not empty,
then keep what it already has. I tried using =IF(B327<"", E327, B327), but
I know the false is wrong. How do I accomplish this?

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Do you have the formula placed in B327, this will be the reason for the
circular reference. The if statement must be in a differente cell. What you
can do if you only need one column with data is to place the formula on G327
for example and hide columns B through F.

You can not however have a formula referencing the same cell where the
formula resides, this creates the circular reference error.

Regards,

Michael Arch.

Rate this posting if helpful.

"blucajun" wrote:

I'm having trouble figuring out how to properly do an =IF to make this work
the way I need. I have text in columns B & E, but some of the cells in
column B are empty. I need a formula that will look at column B and if it is
empty, copy the data from column E. If the cell in column B is not empty,
then keep what it already has. I tried using =IF(B327<"", E327, B327), but
I know the false is wrong. How do I accomplish this?

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

"blucajun" wrote in message
I already tried that formula -it creates a circular reference and gives me
zero...

I assume then that E327 refers to the cell in which the formula is located?

--

Sandy
and the crowning place of kings