Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
Kim Kim is offline

Default Look Up two cells

I have the following table I want to set up in Excel. My question is if a
user keys a Spec and a Spec Gravity number, how do I get Excel to look up the
corresponding intersection of the two numbers.

Spec Spec Gravity
1.01 1.02 1.03 1.04 1.2
1058TT 3.38 3.343 3.35 3.7 3.94
2534C 4.58 4.67 4.75 4.8 5.08
1058TC 3.97 3.99 4.02 4.05 4.75

What kind of formula would work best for this application.
Thanks

--
Kim
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Say you enter your Spec criteria in J1,
And your Gravity criteria in J2,
Then try this formula:

=INDEX(B3:F5,MATCH(J1,A3:A5,0),MATCH(J2,B2:F2,0))

--

HTH,

RD

"Kim" wrote in message
I have the following table I want to set up in Excel. My question is if a
user keys a Spec and a Spec Gravity number, how do I get Excel to look up
the
corresponding intersection of the two numbers.

Spec Spec Gravity
1.01 1.02 1.03 1.04 1.2
1058TT 3.38 3.343 3.35 3.7 3.94
2534C 4.58 4.67 4.75 4.8 5.08
1058TC 3.97 3.99 4.02 4.05 4.75

What kind of formula would work best for this application.
Thanks

--
Kim

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Assuming your table is on a separate tab, on the tab you are looking for the
correct reference, would be as follows. Also assuming that on the Data tab
that column A has your Spec and row 1 has your Spec Gravity:

In the cell they are choosing the Spec for go to Data--Validation, choose
List, and then in the Source box type:
=INDIRECT("Data!A:A")
In the cell they are choosing for the Spec Gravity for go to
Data--Validation, choose List, and then in the Source box type:
=INDIRECT("Data!1:1")

Then in the cell where you want to display the correct value type:
=VLOOKUP(Spec,Data!A1:F100,MATCH(SpecGravity,Data! 1:1,0),FALSE)

--
John C