Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Default Lookup function ~ weird is it possible?

I have a spreadsheet that has information listed downwards with the dates in
column A and then locations in row 1.

A B C D
1 Texas Alberta
2 Oil Aug 5 9
3 Gas Sep 12 16
4 Wind Oct 15 17
5 Solar Nov 19 19

I'd like to go to another worksheet and put in a lookup (not sure which one)
that will tell it to go out to the worksheet in the example (A1:D5) and pull
information. I'd like for it to go to the cell whose row has "Oil" and
"Texas" for a certain month.

Is this possible?

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
Max Max is offline

Not very clear, but this might provide you with some ideas ..

Assume you have identically structured source sheets: Sheet1, Sheet2, Sheet3
etc
where "Oil" can be found somewhere within col A,
"Texas" can be found somewhere within row 1
(like the table in your post)

In another sheet: Summary,
Suppose you have specified:
In A2: Sheet1
In B2: Oil
In C2: Texas

Then you could place this in D2:
=OFFSET(INDIRECT("'"&A2&"'!A1"),MATCH(B2,INDIRECT( "'"&A2&"'!A:A"),0)-1,MATCH(C2,INDIRECT("'"&A2&"'!1:1"),0)-1)
Copy down to return for the other sets of inputs specified in A3:C3, A4:D4,
etc

Ensure that the sheetname specified in A2 down matches exactly with what's
on the actual source tabs (except for case)
--
Max
Singapore