Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
Max Max is offline

Default Lookup function ~ weird is it possible?

Not very clear, but this might provide you with some ideas ..

Assume you have identically structured source sheets: Sheet1, Sheet2, Sheet3
etc
where "Oil" can be found somewhere within col A,
"Texas" can be found somewhere within row 1
(like the table in your post)

In another sheet: Summary,
Suppose you have specified:
In A2: Sheet1
In B2: Oil
In C2: Texas

Then you could place this in D2:
=OFFSET(INDIRECT("'"&A2&"'!A1"),MATCH(B2,INDIRECT( "'"&A2&"'!A:A"),0)-1,MATCH(C2,INDIRECT("'"&A2&"'!1:1"),0)-1)
Copy down to return for the other sets of inputs specified in A3:C3, A4:D4,
etc

Ensure that the sheetname specified in A2 down matches exactly with what's
on the actual source tabs (except for case)
--
Max
Singapore
"Daniel Q." wrote:
I have a spreadsheet that has information listed downwards with the dates in
column A and then locations in row 1.

A B C D
1 Texas Alberta
2 Oil Aug 5 9
3 Gas Sep 12 16
4 Wind Oct 15 17
5 Solar Nov 19 19

I'd like to go to another worksheet and put in a lookup (not sure which one)
that will tell it to go out to the worksheet in the example (A1:D5) and pull
information. I'd like for it to go to the cell whose row has "Oil" and
"Texas" for a certain month.

Is this possible?