Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Default May be a long-shot, but.....

Hello all. For the life of me, I can't get my sum functions to work
with text entries. FTR, I am using Excel 2003. The purpose lays in
this example... I have a column with three different alpha-codes that
have been designated like this:

A denotes blue textbooks
B denotes brown textbooks
C denotes red textbooks

In this column, there are 45 rows with either an A, B or C
classification. Is it possible to add a function/formula where I can
automatically calculate a subtotal of each, then a grand-total of all
classifications together?

I know this is a weird request, but I have been out of the function
loop far too long, and I am certainly not a coder, by any means.

Thanks in advance for your great help!

Chris
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Use the sumproduct function:

Alternatively, use a Pivot Table:
http://peltiertech.com/Excel/Pivots/pivottables.htm

Regards,
Ryan---
--
RyGuy

" wrote:

Hello all. For the life of me, I can't get my sum functions to work
with text entries. FTR, I am using Excel 2003. The purpose lays in
this example... I have a column with three different alpha-codes that
have been designated like this:

A denotes blue textbooks
B denotes brown textbooks
C denotes red textbooks

In this column, there are 45 rows with either an A, B or C
classification. Is it possible to add a function/formula where I can
automatically calculate a subtotal of each, then a grand-total of all
classifications together?

I know this is a weird request, but I have been out of the function
loop far too long, and I am certainly not a coder, by any means.

Thanks in advance for your great help!

Chris

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Try one of these:

=COUNTIF(A1:A45,"A")
=COUNTIF(A1:A45,"B")
=COUNTIF(A1:A45,"C")

C1 = A
C2 = B
C3 = C

Enter this formula in D1 and copy down to D3:

=COUNTIF(A$1:A$45,C1)

For the grand total:

=SUM(D1:D3)

--