Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
AJk AJk is offline

Default Label Filter in Pivot Tab;e

I want to filter text in a series field in a pivot table by multiple
criteria. I am using the "contains" comparison operator but want to filter
on something like "Mike or Jim" to get all text that contains either name. I
really need to filter by 3 or 4 pieces of text (Mike or Jim or Joe or John).
The alternative is to unselct everyhting and go in and find each name but I
have almost 50,000 records so it is quite long. Thanks for any help you can
offer.

Joe

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Use a 'cheater' column in your original data to identify what you wish to
filter on.
For example: =if(or(A1="Mike",A1="Jim",A1="Joe",A1="John"),1,0)
Include that column in your pivot table and filter on '1'.
--
Hope this helps.
If this post was helpfull, please remember to click on the ''''YES''''

"AJK" wrote:

I want to filter text in a series field in a pivot table by multiple
criteria. I am using the "contains" comparison operator but want to filter
on something like "Mike or Jim" to get all text that contains either name. I
really need to filter by 3 or 4 pieces of text (Mike or Jim or Joe or John).
The alternative is to unselct everyhting and go in and find each name but I
have almost 50,000 records so it is quite long. Thanks for any help you can
offer.

Joe

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
AJk AJk is offline

Thanks Gary, but I don't think that will work. Do you mean add a colum to
the orksheet? I have almost 50,000 rows, would I have to put something in
every cell of the column? Also, I may want to use "contains" on somehting
totally different at times. Was hoping you could use and/or in the label
value to find multiple text.

Thanks