Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Default Use a cell to name a file to be opened.

I want to use the contents of a cell as part of an INDEX lookup. The
contents of the cell would indicate the name of the file I want to open. Any
ideas?
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

INDEX works on open files only

you might try to combine INDEX with INDIRECT
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

e.g.

=INDIRECT('C:\Documents and Settings\[&A1&".xls]Bonds'!$H$6")

where A1=Somefile

will retrieve data from file "Somefile.xls" stored in C:\Documents and
Settings\, from cell H6 in worksheet named "Bonds"