-   -   Use a cell to name a file to be opened. (https://www.excelbanter.com/excel-worksheet-functions/193205-use-cell-name-file-opened.html)

Michael

Use a cell to name a file to be opened.

I want to use the contents of a cell as part of an INDEX lookup. The
contents of the cell would indicate the name of the file I want to open. Any
ideas?

Jarek Kujawa[_2_]

Use a cell to name a file to be opened.

INDEX works on open files only

you might try to combine INDEX with INDIRECT

Jarek Kujawa[_2_]

Use a cell to name a file to be opened.

e.g.

=INDIRECT('C:\Documents and Settings\[&A1&".xls]Bonds'!$H$6")

where A1=Somefile

will retrieve data from file "Somefile.xls" stored in C:\Documents and
Settings\, from cell H6 in worksheet named "Bonds"

Dave Peterson

Use a cell to name a file to be opened.

It's not =index() that has trouble with closed files.

=indirect() has trouble with closed files.

--

Dave Peterson