Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Default Formula for figuring percentages of 2 numbers

I am trying to remember how to manually figure the percentage of the following:

I have a total of 578 out of that 449 is what percent? Then I need to know
how to calculate it in an excel spread sheet for each column.
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

=449/578 returns 86% using basic arithmetic.

Your second request is a little vague.

You want a total of column A and total of column B and need a percentage?

=SUM(A1:A10)/SUM(B1:B10) entered in C1

Or maybe =A1/B1 in C1 and copied down to C10

Format all formula cells to percentage.

Gord Dibben MS Excel MVP

On Fri, 27 Jun 2008 21:10:00 -0700, Ball4v
wrote:

I am trying to remember how to manually figure the percentage of the following:

I have a total of 578 out of that 449 is what percent? Then I need to know
how to calculate it in an excel spread sheet for each column.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Just divide, then multiply by 100...

449 / 578 = 0.77681660899654

0.77681660899654 * 100 = 77.681660899654%

In your worksheet though, you can skip the multiplication by 100 because
Excel allows you to format cells as Percentage meaning the value in the cell
would stay 0.77681660899654 but be displayed as 77.68% (where I am assuming
the number of decimal places is set at 2). So, on your worksheet, you would
have something like this...

=A1/B1

which you could copy down to get the fraction relationship of Column A as
related to Column B. Highlight the "answer" column (the one with your
formula), right-click it and select Format Cells from the popup menu that
appears... select Percentage from the list on the Number tab, set the number
of decimal places and click OK.

Rick

"Ball4v" wrote in message
I am trying to remember how to manually figure the percentage of the
following:

I have a total of 578 out of that 449 is what percent? Then I need to know
how to calculate it in an excel spread sheet for each column.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

=449/578 returns 86% using basic arithmetic.

??? I get 77.68% for that.

Rick
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

assume 578 is in A1
449is in B1

in C1 .....=B1/A1 format C1 as percentage

or

in D1 ...=100*B1/A1 format D1 as general or a number

"Ball4v" wrote in message
I am trying to remember how to manually figure the percentage of the
following:

I have a total of 578 out of that 449 is what percent? Then I need to know
how to calculate it in an excel spread sheet for each column.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

So do I.

Don't know why I posted 86%

Maybe I'm ceboming lysdexic

Gord

On Sat, 28 Jun 2008 00:36:12 -0400, "Rick Rothstein \(MVP - VB\)"
wrote:

=449/578 returns 86% using basic arithmetic.

??? I get 77.68% for that.

Rick

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Maybe I'm ceboming lysdexic

LOL

Rick
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Maybe I'm ceboming lysdexic

Did you hear about the dyslexic prostitute? She got a job in a warehouse!

--

Sandy
and the crowning place of kings

wrote:

=449/578 returns 86% using basic arithmetic.

??? I get 77.68% for that.

Rick

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Let me try that again. In column A I have a list of 1's giving me a total,
column b I have a list of ones, and C, to = a grand total. Out of the grand
total I need the % of column A, B, and C.

wrote:

I am trying to remember how to manually figure the percentage of the following:

I have a total of 578 out of that 449 is what percent? Then I need to know
how to calculate it in an excel spread sheet for each column.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Just divide each column's total by the grand total and format the cells to
show Percentages. For example, if your totals are in Row 100 and the Grand
Total is in D100, then

=A100/D100
=B100/D100
=C100/D100

and whatever cells you put these formulas in, Format Cells to Percentage.

Rick

wrote:

I am trying to remember how to manually figure the percentage of the
following:

I have a total of 578 out of that 449 is what percent? Then I need to
know
how to calculate it in an excel spread sheet for each column.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Whew, I got 77.68% as well.