Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Default Conditional Formatting Question

I am working with a spreadsheet that I want 2 conditional formats present.
The first is alternating the row color between white and light green using
=MOD(ROW()-2,2*1)+2<=2. The second is to bold and change the color (pretty
much just make stand out) any value that is 'Y' (this is a Y/N spreadsheet).

When I input both conditions the rows alternate colors, but only the white
rows bold the 'Y.'

How can i make it so that both the green and white shaded rows bold and
color the 'Y' value?

Included is a picture of the layout and the conditional formatting input:
http://img71.imageshack.us/img71/196...uestionpf0.jpg

Thanks
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

try to define the following conditional formatting in A1:

Formula Is-=or(MOD(ROW()-2;2*1)+2<=2,A1=CHAR(89))

then copy
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Appreciate the response, but this didnt work. This may sound dumb, but i dont
exactly understand what you mean when you say 'then copy.'

I just selected all cells and put in your formula and this is what happened:
http://img246.imageshack.us/img246/6...estion2yc4.jpg

"Jarek Kujawa" wrote:

try to define the following conditional formatting in A1:

Formula Is-=or(MOD(ROW()-2;2*1)+2<=2,A1=CHAR(89))

then copy

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

You did it correctly. For some reason (unbeknownst to me, others might
know the exact conditions under which this happens), Excel sometimes
places the entire formula in quotes, thus making it a string - never
TRUE.

Having selected all cells issue Conditional Formatting and just remove
the quotes. This time it should work.

HTH
Kostis Vezerides

"Jarek Kujawa" wrote:
try to define the following conditional formatting in A1:

Formula Is-=or(MOD(ROW()-2;2*1)+2<=2,A1=CHAR(89))

then copy

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

You define three conditions. First should be the combination of both
with AND:

=AND(=MOD(ROW()-2,2*1)+2<=2,A1="Y")

In this case set both color and bold.
Second should be only the MOD condition, here you only set the color.
Third should be only the "Y" condition and you set bold.

HTH
Kostis Vezerides

On Jun 27, 4:16 pm, DFrank wrote:
I am working with a spreadsheet that I want 2 conditional formats present.
The first is alternating the row color between white and light green using
=MOD(ROW()-2,2*1)+2<=2. The second is to bold and change the color (pretty
much just make stand out) any value that is 'Y' (this is a Y/N spreadsheet).

When I input both conditions the rows alternate colors, but only the white
rows bold the 'Y.'

How can i make it so that both the green and white shaded rows bold and
color the 'Y' value?

Included is a picture of the layout and the conditional formatting input:http://img71.imageshack.us/img71/196...uestionpf0.jpg

Thanks

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

By the way, you can simplify the MOD function part of your conditions.
Instead of using this....

=MOD(ROW()-2,2*1)+2<=2

use this instead (assuming A1 is the active cell in the selection that you
are applying the conditional format to)...

=MOD(ROW(A1),2)=0

Rick