Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Default Extracting Text String that matches with list

I'm trying to extract text from a cell at varying locations that matches up
with a list I have. I'm banking on the idea that somehow a function like
vlookup or something can be used simultaneously with it but allow me to
explain.

1. Skilled Excel User USA
2. England Master PPT User
3. Ultimate Denmark Word User

I want to extract the countries out of this list--USA, England, Denmark. Can
I set something up in a table where it will look up anything that matches the
table to extract this data? There are too many variations of countries and
inputted data format that I can't figure it out.
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

would this be of any help:

=IF(FIND(E1,A2),E1,)

presuming E1=USA, E2=England etc.
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Make a list of countries that you want to look for:

J1 = USA
J2 = Denmark
J3 = England

A1:A3 =

1. Skilled Excel User USA
2. England Master PPT User
3. Ultimate Denmark Word User

Enter this formula in B1:

=LOOKUP(1E100,SEARCH(J$1:J$3,A1),J$1:J$3)

Copy down as needed.

--
Biff
Microsoft Excel MVP