Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Default Extracting text from a string

I have a spreadsheet which imports data in the form R/IVE/0458 I need
to extract data to read IVE 0458 an added complication being that some
times there are 5 digits ie R/IVE/40755 which needs to read IVE 40755

Hope this makes sense, thanks in anticipation

Martin
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Try:

=MID(A1,FIND("/",A1)+1,255)

--
HTH

Sandy
and the crowning place of kings

" wrote in message
I have a spreadsheet which imports data in the form R/IVE/0458 I need
to extract data to read IVE 0458 an added complication being that some
times there are 5 digits ie R/IVE/40755 which needs to read IVE 40755

Hope this makes sense, thanks in anticipation

Martin

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Hi,
You could use Edit Replace, but you'd have to use it twice.
1st time: Replace R/ with nothing. Replace all.
2nd time: Replace / with a space. Replace all.
Regards - Dave
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

On Mon, 2 Jun 2008 12:42:31 -0700 (PDT), "
wrote:

I have a spreadsheet which imports data in the form R/IVE/0458 I need
to extract data to read IVE 0458 an added complication being that some
times there are 5 digits ie R/IVE/40755 which needs to read IVE 40755

Hope this makes sense, thanks in anticipation

Martin

If all of your desired data begins after R/, then:

=SUBSTITUTE(MID(A1,3,255),"/"," ")

If all of your desired data begins after the first "/", and there can be more
than one character before it, then:

=SUBSTITUTE(MID(A1,FIND("/",A1)+1,255),"/"," ")

--ron
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

With your extracted value in A1

Try this:
B1: =MID(SUBSTITUTE(A1,"/"," "),3,255)

Is that something you can work with?
Post back if you have more questions.

Regards,

Ron
Microsoft MVP - Excel

" wrote in message
I have a spreadsheet which imports data in the form R/IVE/0458 I need
to extract data to read IVE 0458 an added complication being that some
times there are 5 digits ie R/IVE/40755 which needs to read IVE 40755

Hope this makes sense, thanks in anticipation

Martin

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

wrote:

I have a spreadsheet which imports data in the form R/IVE/0458 I need
to extract data to read IVE 0458 an added complication being that some
times there are 5 digits ie R/IVE/40755 which needs to read IVE 40755

Hope this makes sense, thanks in anticipation

Martin

Try this:

=SUBSTITUTE(SUBSTITUTE(A1,"R/",""),"/"," ")

This first replaces the R/ with nothing and then replace the / with a
a single space.

Hope this helps / Lars-Åke
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

wrote:
I have a spreadsheet which imports data in the form R/IVE/0458 I need
to extract data to read IVE 0458 an added complication being that some
times there are 5 digits ie R/IVE/40755 which needs to read IVE 40755

Hope this makes sense, thanks in anticipation

Martin

If all of your desired data begins after R/, then:

=SUBSTITUTE(MID(A1,3,255),"/"," ")

If all of your desired data begins after the first "/", and there can be more
than one character before it, then:

=SUBSTITUTE(MID(A1,FIND("/",A1)+1,255),"/"," ")

--ron

Thanks this worked a treat and will save me a lot of time at work

Martin
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

On Mon, 2 Jun 2008 13:49:26 -0700 (PDT), "
wrote:

Thanks this worked a treat and will save me a lot of time at work

Martin

You're welcome. Glad to help. Thanks for the feedback.
--ron