Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Default auto sum column containing words and numbers

I have one column of imported data that contains about 12000 rows of text and
numbers.

I would like to find out the dollar total of the numbers only, BEFORE i
start formatting the data (text to columns, etc). Because the dollar total
will be in the the millions I would like to have a reference dollar total so
that I know if I have made a mistake at anytime i.e. accidentally delete a
row.

Is it possible to find a sum first?

Any help is greatly appreciated :)

Trina
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

SUM will ignore text.

=SUM(A1:A12000)

--
Biff
Microsoft Excel MVP

"Tacrier" . wrote in message
I have one column of imported data that contains about 12000 rows of text
and
numbers.

I would like to find out the dollar total of the numbers only, BEFORE i
start formatting the data (text to columns, etc). Because the dollar
total
will be in the the millions I would like to have a reference dollar total
so
that I know if I have made a mistake at anytime i.e. accidentally delete a
row.

Is it possible to find a sum first?

Any help is greatly appreciated :)

Trina

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

HI Trina,
you Can use this formula of sumif
=sumif(totalrange,"<0",totalrange)+sumif(totalrang e,"0",totalrange)

thanks
Raj

"Tacrier" wrote:

I have one column of imported data that contains about 12000 rows of text and
numbers.

I would like to find out the dollar total of the numbers only, BEFORE i
start formatting the data (text to columns, etc). Because the dollar total
will be in the the millions I would like to have a reference dollar total so
that I know if I have made a mistake at anytime i.e. accidentally delete a
row.

Is it possible to find a sum first?

Any help is greatly appreciated :)

Trina

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

So, all your data is in one column, and you have mixed number and text
fields in there?

Here is a link to a post from a couple of days ago which covers the
same situation:

http://groups.google.com/group/micro...8acd232843c6a#

Hope this helps.

Pete