Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Default Adding up minutes

I looked, and saw several related subjects, but none that matched mine. I am
setting up a spreadsheet for running times on trains. I have running times
for certain sections of the main, but I need to build a chart that will
initially add minutes together. For instance:

00:13 minutes+00:05 Minutes and the result showing 00:18 Minutes. But the
sheet will be adding a lot of these together, and eventually it will end up
being hours instead of minutes. So it goes like this:

a1 00:13 + b2 00:05 = b1 00:18 + c3 00:35 = c2 00:53 + d4 00:15 * d3 01:08
and so on. I need it so that as running times change due to conditions, I can
simply change them, and the sheet will automatically recalculate all of the
dependent cells. I have one chart that has 15 separate times resulting in
03:48 hrs of time.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Corey,

In cell B1, enter the formula

=A1+B2

and format for time.

Then in C2 (formatted for time) enter the formula

=B1+C3

Then copy C2 and copy to D3, E4, F5, and so on (if I properly understand
your pattern).

Just make sure that you enter minutes at 0:05, not 5:00 - Excel defaults to
h:mm entry, not m:ss entry.

HTH,
Bernie
MS Excel MVP