Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Default deconcatenate

Hello,
I need some help ASAP for any of you that can save me!

In Excel '07, I have a cell with all of a persons contact info.

Firstname MI Lastname Address Street State Zip

Problem is there is no uniform structure. No tabbing, identifiers, and
everything might not be included. For example:

Jane M Doe 123456789 2nd Street Dallas
Jane Doe 1 Main Street Dallas, TX 65654-4343
Jack Smith 234 W. Broadway Dallas, Texas 34212

Any idea how I can deconcatenate this without spending hours and hours?
Thanks for the help in advance.

--
Michael

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

On Mon, 23 Jun 2008 15:17:02 -0700, Michael
wrote:

Hello,
I need some help ASAP for any of you that can save me!

In Excel '07, I have a cell with all of a persons contact info.

Firstname MI Lastname Address Street State Zip

Problem is there is no uniform structure. No tabbing, identifiers, and
everything might not be included. For example:

Jane M Doe 123456789 2nd Street Dallas
Jane Doe 1 Main Street Dallas, TX 65654-4343
Jack Smith 234 W. Broadway Dallas, Texas 34212

Any idea how I can deconcatenate this without spending hours and hours?
Thanks for the help in advance.

Can you make up a list of cities with all valid spellings? And also ensure
that none of the city names are identical with street names?

If so, then it might be possible.
--ron

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

On Mon, 23 Jun 2008 19:34:03 -0700, Michael
wrote:

It would take a significant amount of time. I have over 5000 rows

You're probably out of luck then.

There does not seem to be any unambiguous method of separating the various
components.

You could identify the zip code as being a 5 or 5+4 digit string at the end of
the line.

You might also be able to use a lookup table to determine the state.

But I don't see any good method to separate the other information, given the
variability in your data.
--ron