Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Default Vlookup , Referencing a cell to refence table array

I ave multiple worksheet named one, two, three, four etc. In the worksheet
with the vlookup I need to be able to get the value in A1 say 'one' to
populate the table_array. It needs to say 'one'!$1:65536, All I can get it
to do is A1!$1:!65536.
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
Max Max is offline

I was able to get something like this up:
=VLOOKUP(A1,one!$1:$65536,2,0)
--
Max
Singapore
"seans" wrote:
I ave multiple worksheet named one, two, three, four etc. In the worksheet
with the vlookup I need to be able to get the value in A1 say 'one' to
populate the table_array. It needs to say 'one'!$1:65536, All I can get it
to do is A1!$1:!65536.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Are you trying to vary the worksheet that's used in the =vlookup() by changing
the name of the worksheet in A1?

If yes, then maybe...

=vlookup(x99,indirect("'"&a1&"'!1:65536"),26,false )

if the value to look for is in x99 and you want to bring back the value in the
26th column (column Z).

seans wrote:

I ave multiple worksheet named one, two, three, four etc. In the worksheet
with the vlookup I need to be able to get the value in A1 say 'one' to
populate the table_array. It needs to say 'one'!$1:65536, All I can get it
to do is A1!$1:!65536.

--

Dave Peterson

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Hi Dave,
This partially fixes a problem I am having but I now have 2 other issues!
Can I specify a sheet ref. in the table_array (it will always be the same
ref. i.e sheet1)? Also it seems I need the workbooks open for it to work.
Any thoughts would be much appreciated.
Thanks,
James.

seans wrote:

I ave multiple worksheet named one, two, three, four etc. In the worksheet
with the vlookup I need to be able to get the value in A1 say 'one' to
populate the table_array. It needs to say 'one'!$1:65536, All I can get it
to do is A1!$1:!65536.

--

Dave Peterson

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

The value in A1 is the sheet name.

If you want to use a different workbook that's not open, then...

The function you'd want to use that's built into excel is =indirect(). But that
function returns an error if the sending workbook is closed.

If that's a problem, then Laurent Longre has an addin (morefunc.xll) at:
http://xcell05.free.fr/

That includes =indirect.ext() that may help you.