Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Default Sorting a protected worksheet

Hi,
I have a worksheet setup for employees to enter progress statistics, sorted
by "course name"
The first 5 columns rely on user input, but the last 3 columns I have locked
as they are populated by formulae and I was fed up with them being
overwrtitten.
The problem we now have is that when adding a new row of data the user can
not sort the data alphebetically by course name as they get the message
"cells locked, got to unprotect etc.

Is there anyway to still allow them to apply the sort as required and still
keep the last 3 columns protected.
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

when you protect the worksheet... Go to Tools -Protection - Protect
Sheet.

scroll down in the and check the Sort Box. this should solve your
issue

On Jun 20, 8:13 am, nigsy wrote:
Hi,
I have a worksheet setup for employees to enter progress statistics, sorted
by "course name"
The first 5 columns rely on user input, but the last 3 columns I have locked
as they are populated by formulae and I was fed up with them being
overwrtitten.
The problem we now have is that when adding a new row of data the user can
not sort the data alphebetically by course name as they get the message
"cells locked, got to unprotect etc.

Is there anyway to still allow them to apply the sort as required and still
keep the last 3 columns protected.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

"Tim879" wrote:

when you protect the worksheet... Go to Tools -Protection - Protect
Sheet.

scroll down in the and check the Sort Box. this should solve your
issue

Have already checked the "sort box" still can't apply the sort. If the box
isn't checked it just greys out the command in the ribbon.

I am using excel 2007

On Jun 20, 8:13 am, nigsy wrote:
Hi,
I have a worksheet setup for employees to enter progress statistics, sorted
by "course name"
The first 5 columns rely on user input, but the last 3 columns I have locked
as they are populated by formulae and I was fed up with them being
overwrtitten.
The problem we now have is that when adding a new row of data the user can
not sort the data alphebetically by course name as they get the message
"cells locked, got to unprotect etc.

Is there anyway to still allow them to apply the sort as required and still
keep the last 3 columns protected.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Only by unprotecting, sorting then re-protecting.

Use a macro for this so's users can insert the row using CTRL + SHIFT + +

Then hit the macro button to run the sort macro.

Sub sortit()
ActiveSheet.Unprotect Password:="justme"

your sort code

ActiveSheet.Protect Password:="justme"
End Sub

Gord Dibben MS Excel MVP

On Fri, 20 Jun 2008 05:13:03 -0700, nigsy
wrote:

Hi,
I have a worksheet setup for employees to enter progress statistics, sorted
by "course name"
The first 5 columns rely on user input, but the last 3 columns I have locked
as they are populated by formulae and I was fed up with them being
overwrtitten.
The problem we now have is that when adding a new row of data the user can
not sort the data alphebetically by course name as they get the message
"cells locked, got to unprotect etc.

Is there anyway to still allow them to apply the sort as required and still
keep the last 3 columns protected.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

"Gord Dibben" wrote:

Only by unprotecting, sorting then re-protecting.

Use a macro for this so's users can insert the row using CTRL + SHIFT + +

Then hit the macro button to run the sort macro.

Thanks, thought it would need a macro.