Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Default cell needs to show tab text

I have a multi-tabbed workbook. I would like to link a cell to the text
entered on the worksheet tab... I've seen it done before - but don't know how
they were able to do that... Can someone fill me in?

Thanks!
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Hi,

Try this

=MID(CELL("filename"),FIND("]",CELL("filename"))+1,255)

The workbook must be saved for it to work.

Mike

"klee" wrote:

I have a multi-tabbed workbook. I would like to link a cell to the text
entered on the worksheet tab... I've seen it done before - but don't know how
they were able to do that... Can someone fill me in?

Thanks!

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Mike,
Thanks. I tried that - however - - - it only kinda worked... Here's whats
happening...
I have 8 tabs in this workbook. I entered this formula separately on to
each worksheet - but regardless of which worksheet I placed it on the same
result appears on each... for example, text from tab one appears on all other
worksheets.

"klee" wrote:

I have a multi-tabbed workbook. I would like to link a cell to the text
entered on the worksheet tab... I've seen it done before - but don't know how
they were able to do that... Can someone fill me in?

Thanks!

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

"klee" wrote:

I have a multi-tabbed workbook. *I would like to link a cell to the text
entered on the worksheet tab... I've seen it done before - but don't know how
they were able to do that... *Can someone fill me in?

Thanks!- Hide quoted text -

Make this function :::
Function sheet_name(sheet_index As Integer) As String
sheet_name = Worksheets(sheet_index).Name
End Function

and then call it from the cell as sheet_name(1)

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Make sure you include a reference to the worksheet you want:

=MID(CELL("filename",a1),FIND("]",CELL("filename",a1))+1,255)

Otherwise, excel will use the activeworkbook/activeworksheet when it evaluates
that formula.

You can use any cell on the sheet. I like to use the cell that contains the
formula.

--

Dave Peterson