Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Default Format Prefix

Dear experts,

In my worksheet column A, I want to use it for recording box numbers with a
prefix "JCT2008-" and follow by box number from 00001 to 99999. For example,
if an user enter 134 then the data in this cell will be "JCT2008-00134". I
tried to format this in Format menu, Number tab, Custom option and input as
"JCT2008-00000" but it didn't work. However, if when I entered as "JCT00000",
it worked. So, what should I do so that I can get my expected result?

Please kindly advise.

Thanks in advance.
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

You were almost there ... just put your quotes in the wrong place!

Try this:

"JCT2008-"00000
--
HTH,

RD

"Freshman" wrote in message
Dear experts,

In my worksheet column A, I want to use it for recording box numbers with

prefix "JCT2008-" and follow by box number from 00001 to 99999. For

example,
if an user enter 134 then the data in this cell will be "JCT2008-00134". I
tried to format this in Format menu, Number tab, Custom option and input

as
"JCT2008-00000" but it didn't work. However, if when I entered as

"JCT00000",
it worked. So, what should I do so that I can get my expected result?

Please kindly advise.

Thanks in advance.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Hi

Try a custom format of

"JCT2008 - " 00000

Mike

"Freshman" wrote:

Dear experts,

In my worksheet column A, I want to use it for recording box numbers with a
prefix "JCT2008-" and follow by box number from 00001 to 99999. For example,
if an user enter 134 then the data in this cell will be "JCT2008-00134". I
tried to format this in Format menu, Number tab, Custom option and input as
"JCT2008-00000" but it didn't work. However, if when I entered as "JCT00000",
it worked. So, what should I do so that I can get my expected result?

Please kindly advise.

Thanks in advance.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Thanks Mike. Have a nice day. Regards.