Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Default Trouble trying to do a 'Count IF'

I am trying to count the number of titles of cost entries per quarter. I
used the following formula: =COUNT (IF B6:B11= "Expenses"). The problem is
no matter how many cells I count, it invariably comes up one SHORT. B6-B11
should be 6, but the answer is always 5. [B6 is gas, b7 is electric, b8 is
telephone, b9 is food, b10 is fuel, and b11 is repairs)

Same with the other columns. =COUNT (IF C6:B14=Expenses") comes out to 8.
not 9.

I give up. What am I doing wrong?
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Hi,

It's not at all clear to me what you are trying to do but if you simply want
to count the word 'Expenses' in a range try this

=COUNTIF( B6:B14,"Expenses")

Mike

"Logikal1" wrote:

I am trying to count the number of titles of cost entries per quarter. I
used the following formula: =COUNT (IF B6:B11= "Expenses"). The problem is
no matter how many cells I count, it invariably comes up one SHORT. B6-B11
should be 6, but the answer is always 5. [B6 is gas, b7 is electric, b8 is
telephone, b9 is food, b10 is fuel, and b11 is repairs)

Same with the other columns. =COUNT (IF C6:B14=Expenses") comes out to 8.
not 9.

I give up. What am I doing wrong?

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

One of your entries probably has a trailing space. TRy

=COUNTIF(B6:B11,"Expenses*")

--
HTH

Bob