Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Default Calculation Using "Most Current Data Entered"

I am creating an inventory sheet for my business and I'm trying to get Excel
to look through an inventory sheet, take the most recently entered inventory
number, and divide it by the average daily sales to give me a "days out"
number. I was going to just use an IF(D1<"",D1,IF(C1<"",C1...etc, etc but
the limit to embedded IF statements struck that possibility. I figure there
has to be an easier way anyway.

Sheet 1 is the summary page where it has each product name, average daily
sales, and then the "days out" number. Sheet 2 has each product name
horizontally across the top and then the dates vertically on the left for a
daily inventory count. I just can't figure out a way to get Excel to pull
the most current date's inventory number.

Any ideas?
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

So, the most recent data would be the last (rightmost) numeric value in the
row?

See if this screencap helps:

http://img263.imageshack.us/img263/7383/lastnumam1.jpg

--
Biff
Microsoft Excel MVP

"igotboost" wrote in message
[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Well, mine is vertical instead of horizontal, but yes, in this screencap it
would be the right most value in any row. Exactly. How did you get that
screencap up by the way? That would make things a lot easier. Thanks so
much.

"igotboost" wrote in message
[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

How did you get that screencap up by the way?

I use a commercial product for that called Snagit.

http://www.techsmith.com/

Well worth it and very easy to use and setup.

Then I use a free image host:

http://imageshack.us/

You could also upload a sample file (with size restrictions) to a free file
host and then post the link to the file. I use this one often:

http://translate.google.com/translat...l%3Den%26lr%3D

It's a French site that gets translated to English. The file gets removed
after about 3 weeks.

--
Biff
Microsoft Excel MVP

"igotboost" wrote in message
[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Why go via Google (aren't they insidious enough), go direct
http://cjoint.com/

--
__________________________________
HTH

Bob

"igotboost" wrote in message
[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Yeah, but that's in French. A first-time non-French speaking user probably
won't understand it.

--
Biff
Microsoft Excel MVP

"igotboost" wrote in message
[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Anyway to adjust this formula to make it work vertically?

I couldn't work out a VLOOKUP formula, but I imagine that's what you would
have to do. I'll try to get a screenshot up here.

"igotboost" wrote in message
[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

http://img148.imageshack.us/my.php?i...ventorymv7.jpg

Here's what I'm looking at.

The left image is the summary sheet where the formula will be entered.

The right image is the actual inventory sheet where the data is drawn from.

It would be difficult to make this horizontal just because there's more than
one field per day so I need to adjust the previous formula to go vertical.