Patrick

Default Weird Problem

I have a spreadhseet where I have one row of numbers that is identical to the
other. As I always have done in the past, I have put a formula in the second
row to make the numers in the first row enter automatically when types in.
In other words, I have column A, rows 1 thru 20 and column D rows 1 thru 20.
In cell D1 I type =A1. While the number in A1 appears in D1, when I use the
fill handle for the rest of the rows (D2-20) I get correct formulas, but the
number stays the same! In other words, while the formula in D2 says =A2, the
number in A1 is what appears. BTW, I am using the fill handle and do not
have any absolute value ($) codes entered. Do I have a corrupt file? This
has never happened before.

Thanks in advance.

Patrick

Rowan! That was it. Thanks so much. I wasn't aware that setting was
available and certainly don't know how it got set to manual. Regardless,
you have me up and running again! YOU 'DA BOMB!

"Patrick" wrote:

I have a spreadhseet where I have one row of numbers that is identical to the
other. As I always have done in the past, I have put a formula in the second
row to make the numers in the first row enter automatically when types in.
In other words, I have column A, rows 1 thru 20 and column D rows 1 thru 20.
In cell D1 I type =A1. While the number in A1 appears in D1, when I use the
fill handle for the rest of the rows (D2-20) I get correct formulas, but the
number stays the same! In other words, while the formula in D2 says =A2, the
number in A1 is what appears. BTW, I am using the fill handle and do not
have any absolute value ($) codes entered. Do I have a corrupt file? This
has never happened before.

Thanks in advance.

Gord Dibben

Patrick

If you're wondering how it got switched to "manual"......

Excel takes the Calculation mode each session from the settings on the first
workbook opened in that session.

i.e. If you saved Book1 with calc mode in manual and opened it first, calc
mode would be in Manual.

If you saved Book2 with calc mode in auto and opened it after Book1, Book2
would be in manual mode(Excel ignores the auto calc mode in this case).

If you close Book1 before opening Book2, Book2 will be in auto calc mode.

Confusing enough? <g

Gord Dibben Excel MVP