Default RTD Links, how to start and stop them

I've searched on MSFT's Knowledge Base for references on how to Start/Stop
the RTD links from continuously populating, but except for the Manual
calculation method, there appears to not be anything.
We have a user who uses a mixture of the older DDE links in their Formulas
in Excel and the new RTD links, now they can Stop/Start the DDE links using
another application called DDE Server, but the RTD links continue to
populate, the sheet is quite large so he has to go into Task Manager to gain
control of Excel 2002 again.
I was wondering if anyone know of a way to Stop/Start the RealTimeData links
in Excel if you have the calculation flagged on Automatic...?
Fredrik Wahlgren

"
. com wrote in message
I've searched on MSFT's Knowledge Base for references on how to Start/Stop
the RTD links from continuously populating, but except for the Manual
calculation method, there appears to not be anything.
We have a user who uses a mixture of the older DDE links in their Formulas
in Excel and the new RTD links, now they can Stop/Start the DDE links

using
another application called DDE Server, but the RTD links continue to
populate, the sheet is quite large so he has to go into Task Manager to

gain
control of Excel 2002 again.
I was wondering if anyone know of a way to Stop/Start the RealTimeData

links
in Excel if you have the calculation flagged on Automatic...?

Hmm.. When you use RTD you call functions in a dll, right? Have you made the
dll? What happens when you stop a DDE link? Does it show the latest value or
an empty string, 0 or similar?

If you have made the dll, you could simply check the calculation mode within
the called function. If it's manual, bail out. An alternative idea - I have
no idea whether it would work - is to create a User defined function that
wraps the RTD call. If it works, you could use an if statement to determine
whether to call RTD or not.

/Fredrik

Jens Thiel

Carlos,

there is no easy way to do that, but we have integrated RTD
Pause/Resume/Restart into our ManagedXLL product.

Best regards,
Jens.

--
http://www.stochastix.de
Replace MSDN with my first name when replying to my email address!