Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Default Can I request user in input variable value within formula?

I don't even know if this can be done, but I would like to request the user
to define the value of a variable within a formula without having to
reference a separate data table or cell

Example imaginary formula:

A3 =(USER DEFINED VALUE) * A1

Such that the user inputs the value direction into the cell but the shown
value is the fuction result.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Try this small macro:

Sub uservalue()
x = Application.InputBox(prompt:="enter the value", Type:=1)
Range("A3").Formula = "=" & x & "*A1"

Gary''s Student - gsnu200789

"R Nelson" wrote:

I don't even know if this can be done, but I would like to request the user
to define the value of a variable within a formula without having to
reference a separate data table or cell

Example imaginary formula:

A3 =(USER DEFINED VALUE) * A1

Such that the user inputs the value direction into the cell but the shown
value is the fuction result.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Okay, that didn't work like I first thought. The sub works great, but let me
better explain what I would like to do..

I have a dollar value in A1, and I would like to be able to let the user
spread that value throughout cells B1:H1 (across the row) by percentage.

So it would look like this if the user input 25% in each cell.

A1 B1 C1 D1 E1
100,000 25000 25000 25000 25000

Also, I am doing this same activity with values all down column A (with
different spread values throughout.

And...I need to be able to have the macro run when the user clicks on each
cell.

Is this possible?

"R Nelson" wrote:

I don't even know if this can be done, but I would like to request the user
to define the value of a variable within a formula without having to
reference a separate data table or cell

Example imaginary formula:

A3 =(USER DEFINED VALUE) * A1

Such that the user inputs the value direction into the cell but the shown
value is the fuction result.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

If the user inputs 100% we will only fill B1.
If the user inputs 50% we will fill B1 & C1.
If the user inputs 33% we will fill B1 & C1 & D1.

What if the user inputs 60% ???
--
Gary''s Student - gsnu200789

"R Nelson" wrote:

I don't even know if this can be done, but I would like to request the user
to define the value of a variable within a formula without having to
reference a separate data table or cell

Example imaginary formula:

A3 =(USER DEFINED VALUE) * A1

Such that the user inputs the value direction into the cell but the shown
value is the fuction result.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

That is exactly my problem. B1:E1 are dates, so we are spreading that value
across dates, but not necessary all of them. It could be 60% in C1, 40% in E1
and 0% in B1 and D1.

Basically I'm doing a cash flow spread, which I typically have to do
manually for payment terms of each pay item, but if I can get this idea
working, then it expedites the cost spread process and allows other users to
adjust easily in the future.

"R Nelson" wrote:

I don't even know if this can be done, but I would like to request the user
to define the value of a variable within a formula without having to
reference a separate data table or cell

Example imaginary formula:

A3 =(USER DEFINED VALUE) * A1

Such that the user inputs the value direction into the cell but the shown
value is the fuction result.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Now I get it!

Check back tomorrow....We will let the user double-click cols B thru E (or B
thru anything). The user will supply the % and the cell will receive that
percentage of the col A value. For example, if the user is on row 13 and
double-clicks D13, they will input a percentage ( say 13.538%) and D13 will
get the formula:
=.13538*A1

REMEMBER:
You STILL have to be concerned with the user picking a set of percentages
that do not add up to 100%
--
Gary''s Student - gsnu200789

"R Nelson" wrote:

I don't even know if this can be done, but I would like to request the user
to define the value of a variable within a formula without having to
reference a separate data table or cell

Example imaginary formula:

A3 =(USER DEFINED VALUE) * A1

Such that the user inputs the value direction into the cell but the shown
value is the fuction result.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Awesome!

Yes, if I can build in the ability to spread these values across the row (A1
to B1:Z1, A2 to B2:Z2, etc..) that will be excellent! As for adding up to
100% of the value, I'll just have a sum column in there as a check. If the
user in question doesn't know to distribute the full 100% then he has bigger
problems than the spreadsheet! :)

Thanks so much for this help.

"R Nelson" wrote:

I don't even know if this can be done, but I would like to request the user
to define the value of a variable within a formula without having to
reference a separate data table or cell

Example imaginary formula:

A3 =(USER DEFINED VALUE) * A1

Such that the user inputs the value direction into the cell but the shown
value is the fuction result.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Here is the macro. Double-click anywhere from B1 thru Z100 and the macro
runs. It asks for a percentage, so have the user enter stuff like 45%.

Private Sub Worksheet_BeforeDoubleClick(ByVal Target As Range, Cancel As
Boolean)
Set r = Range("B1:Z100")
If Intersect(Target, r) Is Nothing Then Exit Sub
Cancel = True
rr = Target.Row
x = Application.InputBox(prompt:="Enter a percentage (like 15%)", Type:=2)
Target.Formula = "=A" & rr & "*" & x
End Sub

Because it is worksheet code, it is very easy to install and automatic to use:

1. right-click the tab name near the bottom of the Excel window
2. select View Code - this brings up a VBE window
3. paste the stuff in and close the VBE window

If you have any concerns, first try it on a trial worksheet.

If you save the workbook, the macro will be saved with it.

To remove the macro:

1. bring up the VBE windows as above
2. clear the code out
3. close the VBE window

To learn more about Event Macros (worksheet code), see:

Gary''s Student - gsnu200789

"R Nelson" wrote:

I don't even know if this can be done, but I would like to request the user
to define the value of a variable within a formula without having to
reference a separate data table or cell

Example imaginary formula:

A3 =(USER DEFINED VALUE) * A1

Such that the user inputs the value direction into the cell but the shown
value is the fuction result.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Well, I plugged it in to a tester worksheet as a practice run and I cannot
get it to work. Code is pasted into worksheet as a worksheet event (thanks
for the link to worksheet events tutorial by the way) but no action on double
click. I'll keep working with it to see if I can figure it out, but I don't
know what the problem could be.

"R Nelson" wrote:

I don't even know if this can be done, but I would like to request the user
to define the value of a variable within a formula without having to
reference a separate data table or cell

Example imaginary formula:

A3 =(USER DEFINED VALUE) * A1

Such that the user inputs the value direction into the cell but the shown
value is the fuction result.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Update this post thread if you need any moe help.
--
Gary''s Student - gsnu200789