Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Default Fisrt letter of every word

Is there any way I can concatenate the first letters of every word in a phrase?
eg management of ancient wood pasture
Answer I am after in one cell "moawp"
The lenhgth of the phrases would be variable, sya up to 15 words.
I would value any help.

Kind Regards
Graham
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Graham,

I copied this from something written (I think) by Ron Rosenfield but if I've
credited the wrong person then apologies to the original author.

Put this UDF in a general module

Function Firsts(str As String) As String
part = Split(Trim(str))
For x = 0 To UBound(part)
Firsts = Firsts & Left(part(x), 1)
Next
End Function

Call with =Firsts(A1)
where A1 is the string you want the first letters of.

Mike

"Graham H" wrote:

Is there any way I can concatenate the first letters of every word in a phrase?
eg management of ancient wood pasture
Answer I am after in one cell "moawp"
The lenhgth of the phrases would be variable, sya up to 15 words.
I would value any help.

Kind Regards
Graham

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

I see you already have an answer, but I spent the time working this method
up, so I thought I would post it anyway (mainly for the archives)...

Function FirstLetters(ByVal Str As String) As String
Dim X As Long
Str = " " & Str
For X = Len(Str) To 2 Step -1
If Mid(Str, X - 1, 1) < " " Then Mid(Str, X, 1) = " "
Next
FirstLetters = Replace(Str, " ", "")
End Function

Rick