Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Default Plus/Minus 2*Standard Deviation IF OR Statement

The formula I have requires a value to fall between an average plus or minus
two times a standard deviation. The formula looks like this
=IF(N165O165+2*(P165)+OR(N165<O165-2*(P165)),"Flag","").
What I just discovered is that the "flag" will only appear when the value is
greater than the ave + 2*standard diviation, not when it is less than the
average minus 2*standard diviation. I would like to keep the formula
together so I do not have to add additional columns to the sheet. I
certainly could use some clarification to this formula. Each part works as a
seperate formula but not together.

Thank you
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

The OR operator comes before the inputs: OR(A,B) rather than A OR B.
So to flag entries outside two standard deviations:
=IF(OR(N165(O165+2*P165),N165<(O165-2*P165)),"Flag","")

"sm416" wrote:

The formula I have requires a value to fall between an average plus or minus
two times a standard deviation. The formula looks like this
=IF(N165O165+2*(P165)+OR(N165<O165-2*(P165)),"Flag","").
What I just discovered is that the "flag" will only appear when the value is
greater than the ave + 2*standard diviation, not when it is less than the
average minus 2*standard diviation. I would like to keep the formula
together so I do not have to add additional columns to the sheet. I
certainly could use some clarification to this formula. Each part works as a
seperate formula but not together.

Thank you

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

You are not using the OR function correctly, but I wouldn't do what you want
using it anyway. Try it this way...

=IF(ABS(O165-N165)2*P165,"Flag","")

Rick

"sm416" wrote in message
The formula I have requires a value to fall between an average plus or
minus
two times a standard deviation. The formula looks like this
=IF(N165O165+2*(P165)+OR(N165<O165-2*(P165)),"Flag","").
What I just discovered is that the "flag" will only appear when the value
is
greater than the ave + 2*standard diviation, not when it is less than the
average minus 2*standard diviation. I would like to keep the formula
together so I do not have to add additional columns to the sheet. I
certainly could use some clarification to this formula. Each part works
as a
seperate formula but not together.

Thank you

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

No. Most of these simple things are *easy* to find. Excel has a help
facility. If you don't know the syntax of the OR function, type the word OR
into Excel help. The same applies for any Excel function (except DATEDIF).
--
David Biddulph