Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Default Calender function - time sheet - excel 2003/7

(Newcomer please be gentle!)

I am trying to set up a monthly time sheet spreadsheet for an organisation
that has staff working 7x24.

Ideally I should like the spreadsheet to automatically assign the date and
day of the week working from user input data (from drop down lists for
month, and year) so that for the current month (May 2008) the information
would appear as follows:-

Day Date

Thursday 1
Friday 2

and so on to

Friday 30
Saturday 31

Obviously the spreadsheet would need in some way to work off Julian calender
data.

Is this possible or do I ask too much?

Peter

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

hi
i'm not sure i completely understand what your are trying to do with such
sketchy information but if this will help, see these sites. they have already
worked up some timesheets that might help.
http://j-walk.com/ss/excel/files/timesht.htm
http://www.cpearson.com/excel/overtime.htm
at the bottom of chip's site are a number of links to other timesheet
related stuff.

regards
FSt1

"Peter Balcombe" wrote:

(Newcomer please be gentle!)

I am trying to set up a monthly time sheet spreadsheet for an organisation
that has staff working 7x24.

Ideally I should like the spreadsheet to automatically assign the date and
day of the week working from user input data (from drop down lists for
month, and year) so that for the current month (May 2008) the information
would appear as follows:-

Day Date

Thursday 1
Friday 2

and so on to

Friday 30
Saturday 31

Obviously the spreadsheet would need in some way to work off Julian calender
data.

Is this possible or do I ask too much?

Peter

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

"Peter Balcombe" wrote in message
(Newcomer please be gentle!)

I am trying to set up a monthly time sheet spreadsheet for an organisation
that has staff working 7x24.

Ideally I should like the spreadsheet to automatically assign the date and
day of the week working from user input data (from drop down lists for
month, and year) so that for the current month (May 2008) the information
would appear as follows:-

Day Date

Thursday 1
Friday 2

and so on to

Friday 30
Saturday 31

Obviously the spreadsheet would need in some way to work off Julian
calender
data.

Is this possible or do I ask too much?

Peter

Thankyou for the information.

Sorry I have been unclear. What I need is a formula (or look up) which
automatically returns that May 1 2008 was a Thursday and May 31 will be a
Saturday and assigns the correct days and dates to each other for the rest
of the month. Similarly that knows June 2008 is a 30 day month beginning on
a Sunday and ending on a Monday etc and similarly matches days of the week
to dates and thus forward for all months, correctly taking into account leap
years. The date time function in windows does all this very well working
from the same information i.e.. month and year but can I replicate it in
Excel?

Knowing that a date is a Saturday or Sunday for example is important to my
timesheet because there are higher payrates for weekend work. I want my
monthly time sheet to begin correctly on the right day of the week as the
first and to end appropriately on the last day of the month, with the
correct number of days in the month.

Can it be done?

Peter

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

As a function...

=TEXT(<<SomeDate,"dddd")

where <<SomeDate is either a cell reference or a proper date value
(perhaps generated from the DATE or DATEVALUE function).

As a Cell Format... put a proper date in your cell and Custom Format the
Cell using dddd as the format pattern.

Rick