Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Default formulas

Hi,

I need to be able to protect my formulas in a column. I know how to protect
the columns I don't want edited. However in the column which I allow data to
be input, if someones enters a number in the wrong cell in a row then hits
delete it also deletes the formula in the cell so that when they go across
the row and come down to the next row the cell has lost its formula. Can
someone please help with this
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Hello Modine:

Ensure that all the other cells are protected. (select all the cells on the
sheet and then format cells protection locked should be slected).

You need set the cells where the users can add data as unprotected. (Do the
same above but for individual cells).

Then you need to protect the sheet.

I think that is what you want.
--
Hope this helps
Martin Fishlock, www.nyfconsultants.com, Bangkok, Thailand

"Modine" wrote:

Hi,

I need to be able to protect my formulas in a column. I know how to protect
the columns I don't want edited. However in the column which I allow data to
be input, if someones enters a number in the wrong cell in a row then hits
delete it also deletes the formula in the cell so that when they go across
the row and come down to the next row the cell has lost its formula. Can
someone please help with this

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Thank you but I don't think you are understanding the problem. I have
everything locked the way I want it and everything works fine the problem I'm
having is in the cells I'm allowing editing. Say someome enters some numbers
incorrectly so they hit the delete button, well it then deletes the formula
as well as the incorrect numbers then the sheet doesn't work they way it
should. I need to be able to let someone delete if they make a mistake but
not loose the formulas.

"Modine" wrote:

Hi,

I need to be able to protect my formulas in a column. I know how to protect
the columns I don't want edited. However in the column which I allow data to
be input, if someones enters a number in the wrong cell in a row then hits
delete it also deletes the formula in the cell so that when they go across
the row and come down to the next row the cell has lost its formula. Can
someone please help with this

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Users should not be entering numbers into cells that contain formulas.

You cannot enter numbers.......even if correct.........into cells with formulas.

Lock the cells that have formulas so the users cannot enter anything into those
cells.

Allow them to enter values in other cells that the formulas reference.

i.e. A1 has a formula of =B1*C1

Lock A1 but allows users to enter numbers in B1 and C1.

Gord Dibben MS Excel MVP