Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Default IF Function formula

I posted this in the general questions but it's better suited for he

Hi I need some help figuring out if it is possible to create a formula.

I'm trying to link information from different pages in a spreadsheet that
contain id's for people and prices they are paying for some items my church
is selling. We have a main worksheet that lists their names and the ids and
then we have another worksheet that lists all the items they can buy with
it's price.

Is it possible to create a formula in the name page that says "If you find
id #1 in column A, then sum the prices from column D". The ids will be spread
out throughout column A so we need a formula to locate each instance of the
id and then grab the price listed each time in column D and sum those prices
up.

Is this possible and if yes can someone tell me how to do it.

Thanks
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Jennifer, try this

=SUMPRODUCT(--('Sales record'!$A$2:$A$30='Paddle owners'!A2)*('Sales
record'!$D$2:$D$30))

enter this on the paddle owners sheet in row 2 and copy down. Change the
range to suit just make sure that the both columns, A & D have the same
number of rows.

Regards
Peter

"Jennifer" wrote:

[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

No need for -- and *, you are doing the same job twice.

Either

=SUMPRODUCT(--('Sales record'!$A$2:$A$30='Paddle owners'!A2),--('Sales
record'!$D$2:$D$30))

or

=SUMPRODUCT(('Sales record'!$A$2:$A$30='Paddle owners'!A2)*('Sales
record'!$D$2:$D$30))

is sufficient

--
HTH