Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Default Function to calculate total hours worked in one week.

I have a spreadsheet that has rows of employees. The header row lists Name,
Mon, Tues, etc, through Friday, with TOTAL HOURS WORKED at the end. Each
row, under day of week listed the employee's work hours (ex: Under Monday I
have 7:36 - they worked 7hrs and 36 minutes). How do I calculate the TOTAL
HOURS WORKED for the week? I assume there is a formula, but I can't figure
it out for hours:minutes worked per week. Thanks so much for any assistance!

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

UPDATE: I've tried using the [h]:mm & the [hh]:mm formats for the TOTAL
HOURS WORKED cell, but it doesn't compute:

7:54 + 6:39 + 7:02 + 8:09 + 7:23 + 7:50 is equalling 188:57??

What am I doing wrong?? ARGH!!!

"cahabbinga" wrote:

I have a spreadsheet that has rows of employees. The header row lists Name,
Mon, Tues, etc, through Friday, with TOTAL HOURS WORKED at the end. Each
row, under day of week listed the employee's work hours (ex: Under Monday I
have 7:36 - they worked 7hrs and 36 minutes). How do I calculate the TOTAL
HOURS WORKED for the week? I assume there is a formula, but I can't figure
it out for hours:minutes worked per week. Thanks so much for any assistance!

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

That's what I've done, but the total doesn't compute... This is what I get:

7:54 6:39 7:02 8:09 7:23 TOTAL 181:07

when it should be totalling something over 43 hours and *** minutes...

I'm obviously missing something... :(

"David Biddulph" wrote:

=sum(B2:F2) or =B2+C2+D2+E2+F2
Format the result as [h]:mm
--
David Biddulph

"cahabbinga" wrote in message
I have a spreadsheet that has rows of employees. The header row lists
Name,
Mon, Tues, etc, through Friday, with TOTAL HOURS WORKED at the end. Each
row, under day of week listed the employee's work hours (ex: Under Monday
have 7:36 - they worked 7hrs and 36 minutes). How do I calculate the
TOTAL
HOURS WORKED for the week? I assume there is a formula, but I can't
figure
it out for hours:minutes worked per week. Thanks so much for any
assistance!

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

I get 37:07 when I add those values.

My bet is that your values aren't what you see in the cell. You're only seeing
the pretty formatted text--not the real value.

If you select each cell and look at the formula bar, what values do you see
there.

cahabbinga wrote:

That's what I've done, but the total doesn't compute... This is what I get:

7:54 6:39 7:02 8:09 7:23 TOTAL 181:07

when it should be totalling something over 43 hours and *** minutes...

I'm obviously missing something... :(

"David Biddulph" wrote:

=sum(B2:F2) or =B2+C2+D2+E2+F2
Format the result as [h]:mm
--
David Biddulph

"cahabbinga" wrote in message
I have a spreadsheet that has rows of employees. The header row lists
Name,
Mon, Tues, etc, through Friday, with TOTAL HOURS WORKED at the end. Each
row, under day of week listed the employee's work hours (ex: Under Monday
have 7:36 - they worked 7hrs and 36 minutes). How do I calculate the
TOTAL
HOURS WORKED for the week? I assume there is a formula, but I can't
figure
it out for hours:minutes worked per week. Thanks so much for any
assistance!

--

Dave Peterson
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

WOO HOO!! That was it!!! I had one cell that for some reason included a
date with the time... THANK U!! THANK U!!! THANK U!!!

cahabbinga wrote:

That's what I've done, but the total doesn't compute... This is what I get:

7:54 6:39 7:02 8:09 7:23 TOTAL 181:07

when it should be totalling something over 43 hours and *** minutes...

I'm obviously missing something... :(

"David Biddulph" wrote:

=sum(B2:F2) or =B2+C2+D2+E2+F2
Format the result as [h]:mm