Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
IP IP is offline

Default Multiple cell value

I am using a formula and it has 2 or 3 different cells, it like as follow:
cell A1: January, A2:CH
now I want to take a formula to use those two cells as a combine like,
Index($B4:$I9000,Match(cell("contents",$A$2),$B$4: $B$9000,0),2) --this is my
original formula now I want to change and put down a two matching cells like
A1 and A2 in the formula... How can I do this?
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

How about:

=INDEX($C4:$C9000,MATCH(1,($A$1=$A$4:$A$9000)*($A$ 2=$B$4:$B$9000),0))

them yourself.)

Adjust the range to match--but you can only use the whole column in xl2007.

I'm retrieving the value from column C (instead of specifying a column in B:I)

And I'm looking for the first row that has a match in A4:A9000 to A1 and at the
same time a match in B4:B9000 to A2.

These portions:
($A$1=$A$4:$A$9000)
and
($A$2=$B$4:$B$9000)

Each return a bunch of true/false--depending on the match.

But when they're multiplied using:
($A$1=$A$4:$A$9000)*($A$2=$B$4:$B$9000)

That bunch of true/falses becomes a bunch of 1's and 0's.
(true*true = 1, false*anything = 0)

--

Dave Peterson
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

IP wrote:

I am using a formula and it has 2 or 3 different cells, it like as follow:
cell A1: January, A2:CH
now I want to take a formula to use those two cells as a combine like,
Index($B4:$I9000,Match(cell("contents",$A$2),$B$4: $B$9000,0),2) --this is my
original formula now I want to change and put down a two matching cells like
A1 and A2 in the formula... How can I do this?

--

Dave Peterson

I can try it on Monday, cause this is for my work which I am working
for and I don't have a access to communicate, so I will try on Monday
then I can answer you is that working or not, but thanks for answer...
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

IP wrote:

I am using a formula and it has 2 or 3 different cells, it like as follow:
cell A1: January, A2:CH
now I want to take a formula to use those two cells as a combine like,
Index($B4:$I9000,Match(cell("contents",$A$2),$B$4: $B$9000,0),2) --this is my
original formula now I want to change and put down a two matching cells like
A1 and A2 in the formula... How can I do this?

--

Dave Peterson

I can try it on Monday, cause this is for my work which I am working
for and I don't have a access to communicate, so I will try on Monday
then I can answer you is that working or not, but thanks for answer...

Hi Dave,
It is not working...
Actually let me show you a proper way what I am doing...
Here is my example:
A:_______
B:_______
C:_______

1 2 3
4 5 6
January 74 256
1260 565 and so on
January 75 1560
120 ....
January 76
1820 978 888
January 102
January 603 2250 5678
3345 and so on
..
..
..
February 74 could be any number
February 75
February 76
Feb 102
..
..
..
March 74
March 75
..
..
..
Any month

Now I want to get a month (any from the list), 2 from list and 3, 4, 5
from the list...
That's what I am trying to do this.

If I use a same formula it is giving (my formula) me answer from one
thing only (any one from A, B or C), but I want to match that with A
and B or C, so I want in 2 cells which would be any A and B or C...
Hope you understand my question...
Thank you for taking a time...
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

I don't understand.

Maybe you can explain again or someone else will chime in.

IP wrote:

I am using a formula and it has 2 or 3 different cells, it like as follow:
cell A1: January, A2:CH
now I want to take a formula to use those two cells as a combine like,
Index($B4:$I9000,Match(cell("contents",$A$2),$B$4: $B$9000,0),2) --this is my
original formula now I want to change and put down a two matching cells like
A1 and A2 in the formula... How can I do this?

--

Dave Peterson

I can try it on Monday, cause this is for my work which I am working
for and I don't have a access to communicate, so I will try on Monday
then I can answer you is that working or not, but thanks for answer...

Hi Dave,
It is not working...
Actually let me show you a proper way what I am doing...
Here is my example:
A:_______
B:_______
C:_______

1 2 3
4 5 6
January 74 256
1260 565 and so on
January 75 1560
120 ....
January 76
1820 978 888
January 102
January 603 2250 5678
3345 and so on
.
.
.
[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

IP wrote:

I am using a formula and it has 2 or 3 different cells, it like as follow:
cell A1: January, A2:CH
now I want to take a formula to use those two cells as a combine like,
Index($B4:$I9000,Match(cell("contents",$A$2),$B$4: $B$9000,0),2) --this is my
original formula now I want to change and put down a two matching cells like
A1 and A2 in the formula... How can I do this?

--

Dave Peterson

I can try it on Monday, cause this is for my work which I am working
for and I don't have a access to communicate, so I will try on Monday
then I can answer you is that working or not, but thanks for answer...

Hi Dave,
It is not working...
Actually let me show you a proper way what I am doing...
Here is my example:
A:_______
B:_______
C:_______

1 2 3
4 5 6
January 74 256
1260 565 and so on
January 75 1560
120 ....
January 76
1820 978 888
January 102
January 603 2250 5678
3345 and so on
.
.
.
[...]

Please check your email I emailed you my question and a example
spreadsheet.