Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Default needing to calculate entries, but no the spaces in some cells

Hello,
I am trying to develop a log in EXCEL to which persons sign off after
completing a task.
The problem comes that some users are using the drag and fill option then
using the space bar to clear their initials for the uncompleted tasks that
may be in line.
Using the COUNTA function counts the space as a filled cell, therefore i get
incorrect counts. I am unable to figure out how to use the trim and COUNTA
at the same time.

Thank you in advance for any help...
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Sorry, I forgot to add:
Also within the column, are rows that are NOT to be included in the tally.
So I have to use multiple ranges for the one outcome. There is where another
problem resides, I am unable to figure how to use multiple commands for one
result.