Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Default Source for DropDown in another workbook

Hi. I created a dropdown list in one workbook (Workbook 1) and the data
source is found in another workbook (Workbook 2). How do I make sure that
even if Workbook 2 is not open, the dropdown lists in Workbook 1 will still
display the items on the list?

Thanks!
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

"alexis_anne3799" wrote:

Hi. I created a dropdown list in one workbook (Workbook 1) and the data
source is found in another workbook (Workbook 2). How do I make sure that
even if Workbook 2 is not open, the dropdown lists in Workbook 1 will still
display the items on the list?

Thanks!

why not just copy it into workbook 1?
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Quote from Debra Dalgleish's site on DV

For data validation to work, the workbook which contains the list must be open,
in the same instance of Excel. You could create the list in a workbook that is
always open, but hidden, such as the Personal.xls workbook.

End quote.........

Gord Dibben MS Excel MVP

On Tue, 6 May 2008 02:30:01 -0700, alexis_anne3799
wrote:

Hi. I created a dropdown list in one workbook (Workbook 1) and the data
source is found in another workbook (Workbook 2). How do I make sure that
even if Workbook 2 is not open, the dropdown lists in Workbook 1 will still
display the items on the list?

Thanks!

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Thanks Gord. Follow-up question on that...
How do I keep the source workbook as "always open and hidden" in the same
instance? I'm a novice, so I hope you can spell it out for me step-by-step.
Thanks again. Much appreciated...